Colnago Extreme-C

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited August 2010 in Your road bikes
Well, I was supposed to be selling this as it had been replaced by my Lynskey, but my wife talked me out of it (what are the chances?). I didn't really want to get rid of it, but I didn't want to just hang it on the wall or anything either, so I had to put it together on a bit of a budget, meaning it's kitted out like this:

54cm Colnago Extreme C Frame with 'Street' fork;
Shimano 105 5700 groupset;
Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels;
Schwalbe Ultremo tyres;
FSA 190 stem / Vero compact bars;
Colnago carbon seatpost;
Selle Italia SLR saddle

dudn1oswwf.jpg

With that kit on, it's never going to be flash or light, but it rides as well as it always did and I'm pretty happy with the overall 'look'. Although I'm not too sure how long the black finish on the 105 will stay that way - I scuffed the chainset with my wedding ring just taking it out of the plastic bag. Still, I've spent too long just looking at this bike and not enough time riding it - if it starts to look a bit shabby, at least it means I've been using it.
x7iijije04.jpg

os8y55zz6y.jpg

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    nice - what's your opinion on the new 105 ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pics don't work for me!
  • Ash_
    Hmmmmm...

Not too sure what's happening with the pics, sometimes they're there, sometimes not - bit of a flaky hosting site maybe. Here's another try:

47g7tff14x.jpg

or you can try this
    http://photo-hosting.winsoftmagic.com/1/47g7tff14x.jpg
  • Ash_
    edited August 2010
    edhornby wrote:
    nice - what's your opinion on the new 105 ?

Well, it's early days, but this is what I think so far...

The good:
    1 - Looks good - more expensive - than it is
    2 - New lever shape is comfortable for me, if a little wide
    3 - Excellent brakes in terms of performance and set up - something Shimano always seems to get right
    4 - Revised cable entry over new Dura-Ace / Ultegra - on 105 the shift cable goes in through the base of the shifter unit, very easy and there's no need to pop the face plate off
    5 - Despite a more complicated cable route than earlier versions, shifting seems good
    6 - The matt-on-the-sides shiny-in-the-middle finish of the cranks is cool
    7 - Uses standard chainrings, unlike the new Ultegra / Dura Ace, so you can put what you want on it and it won't look odd
    8 - Has the supposedly better 'directional' chain of Shimano's more expensive groups (although you could just buy and fit one of these anyway)

The not so good:
    1 - That black paint's not going to last, I'm sure of it
    2 - Reach adjustability is achieved by rubber wedges placed under the hood - a really basic looking solution. And, you only get one shallow set supplied, if you've got really little hands, you need to buy another set, and they'll look worse
    3 - On the subject of looks, the shifter internals are really open on the inside of the shifters - they don't look like they'll stand up well to bad weather. This may not be the case, but they sure look ugly and unfinished
    4 - It's not very light, if that sort of thing bothers you...

Overall I like it, but to be honest, in terms of price / performance, I think there might be better out there. I bought this from Merlin for 420, a decent price, but 20 quid more would've got me old-style Ultegra (the SL variety) from them. I think this would have offered a lighter, nicer-finished groupset, although not the 'latest thing'. However, being honest, part of this groupset choice was on the looks - and I wanted to try the new-style
    hoods, so I'm not complaining.
  • Anonymous
    Lovely frame though mate!
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Funnily enough I've recently done something not too dissimilar (built a 'budget' road bike for the rainy days to protect the best bike) and was also surprised how much I actually enjoyed a). the shape of those FSA Vero compact bars b). the quality of 105 shifting and c). the weight! (really feels solid and rolls down the hills, really needs to be pushed up the hills - good workout - and feels really stable out of the saddle). Only difference is that I didn't used Ernesto's lightweight dedicated climbing frame... I went for an FSA Omega chainset and am also noticing light scratches on the black.
  • Possibly the bet budget build ever! Good work!

I've recently put the new Ultegra on my Colnago CX1, the hood shape is great, as is the baking feel and stopping power. I Think Shimano have done well in responding to their competition.

If you ever do decide to sell your Colnago may I have first refusal on it? I know it's more than cheeky to ask, but I'm in love with it!!! :D
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Colnago..........say no more! :D
  • Anonymous
    Possibly the bet budget build ever! Good work!

I've recently put the new Ultegra on my Colnago CX1, the hood shape is great, as is the baking feel and stopping power. I Think Shimano have done well in responding to their competition.

If you ever do decide to sell your Colnago may I have first refusal on it? I know it's more than cheeky to ask, but I'm in love with it!!! :D

I've never used mine to make cakes.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Possibly the bet budget build ever! Good work!

I've never used mine to make cakes.

No, but the brakes get more use than they should :wink:
  • Nice bike dude