Tesco Mobile

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited August 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Ive been looking atthe Iphone 4's and Tesco seem to have the best deals by far. Just curious to what people think of them? Ive heard they are the same as vodafone?
Worth going for or not?
Thanks

Comments

• M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    they run on the o2 network.

so depends where you're using it.
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    You only get signal in tesco's pretty much, if you live somewhere fairly remote don't bother
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Their value phones get 7 bars....

TAXI! :wink:
  • jacktheoc
    Lol, Sh*te then. Seem to be the best by far for Iphone deals, Guess this is the reason why.
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    I've been on Tesco mobile for years but PAYG. Yes it's O2 and the coverage is one of the best of the networks according to Mrs HH who works for Virgin Mobile. She reckons a lot of the deals are excellent value and if she didn't get the discount from Virgin then she'd be using Tesco.

And you get clubcard points and can manage your account online. It's very reliable.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Thread8 wrote:
    You only get signal in tesco's pretty much, if you live somewhere fairly remote don't bother
    Rubbish. They get exactly the same reception as any other O2 phone.

My mum's on Tesco, and she actually can't get signal inside the local store, due to its Faraday cage style construction.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Thread8 wrote:

Do you think they use the stores for transmitters :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jacktheoc
    Cheers, Think i might take a punt and try them. Its only for 12 months and they are cheap. Can only be worth a try.
    Thanks
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Yes it's O2 and the coverage is one of the best of the networks according to Mrs HH who works for Virgin Mobile. She reckons a lot of the deals are excellent value and if she didn't get the discount from Virgin then she'd be using Tesco.

I disagree to a point. O2's general signal coverage is there but it's far from brilliant.
    I moved over from Vodafone to O2 for the sake of owning the Jesus Phone (iPhone 3G) almost 18 months back. The coverage is there but 3G coverage is crap. My Jesus Phone is on 2G/Edge 75% of the time solely due to O2's poor 3G coverage.
    Also when I go up to North Yorkshire the phone forever loses signal. Now before someone blames the handset, my Jesus phone is Jailbroken and YellowSnowed so it works on any network. I insert my Vodafone PAYG SIM card and problem solved..
    My work phone which always accompanies me is on Orange and Orange's 3G signal is also superior to what I get on O2.

Taking the Judas Phone's (iPhone 4) inherent signal issues into consideration and combining these with the dismal 3G coverage from O2 makes the Judas Phone and O2 an overwhelming "no" for me.
    I will get a Judas Phone but I am scuttling back to Vodafone where I may pay a little more, then again peace of mind is priceless.
  • 3g coverage on my iPhone with 02 is fine, never had an issue!
  • ski-freak
    ski-freak Posts: 121
    if you have a friend/ family member/ bloke down the pub who works for tesco then you can get the iphone even cheaper. at least 10% off line rental and phone price....
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    3G coverage with my HTC HD2 on O2 is pretty good. Except for Cwm Carn and Afan trail centres... :shock:
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    O2 is pap round here, so is T-Mobile. In fact I don't get a decent signal with Vodafone in my house!

Looks like I'l be heading to Orange then :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Been with Tesco for years. I bought £10 credit in February and I still have £8 left :P
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    .blitz wrote:
    Been with Tesco for years. I bought £10 credit in February and I still have £8 left :P

You don't have many friends do you? :wink:
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    I agree about O2, I often get signal where others don't on EDGE/GPRS but the 3G covering is poop. Still I am on a staff tarrif....so it's cheap....perhaps I should have told them when I left DIGi 6 years ago...oops :lol:
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • RED_
    RED_ Posts: 51
    I've been on O2 since I got the iphone 3G 18+ months ago, never had a problem.

Wanted the new iphone 4 but not the 18 month contract. When I found out tesco used O2's network and they did 12 month contract it was a no brainer.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I had Tesco for ages and they were really fantastic, great customer service, great value and i always had signal, living in S.Wales in the city i was very rarely without signal, same experiance with o2 as i am with now, although admitedly signal istn great in teh country.

So basicly if you live in a town or city its good, if in the county where signal might not be as good its a bit crap.

On the flip side Orange signal is always crap in the town, but awsome in the middle of nowhere.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    .blitz wrote:
    You don't have many friends do you? :wink:
    More a case of being tighter than a duck's ar*e :)