Clickiest freewheel

SteviePCommencal
SteviePCommencal Posts: 120
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Just wondered what the clickiest freewheel there is out there

I will prob be buying Hope Pro 2 hubs soon but just wondered if anything is louder, have heard that DMR hubs are noisy but never seen them on a bike

What are your views?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My view is that anyone who buys a hub based on how loud it clicks is a sheepscnut.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well, as blunt as that is, I have to agree really!
  • Well, thank you for your reply!

I will always buy Hope hubs because I have used them for years and never had any problems

The reason I asked is because I went to bike radar and some of them sounded deafening, just wondered what they were
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Save your cash.

What you need is this......

Pennies :D

2462746663_5d2dedbae1.jpg
  • -Liam- wrote:
    Save your cash.

What you need is this......

Pennies :D

2462746663_5d2dedbae1.jpg

Already got one, that and the spoky dokies!! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    chris king ones are loud, halo make some loud ones which i think are the same as the superstar components superlegerra ones.

i had a hope a while back which sounded gopping, i think i likened it at the time as sounding similar to a bag of parts being thrown down the stairs. i recently took delivery of a set of hope hoops which sound beautifully made (but not as beautiful as my mavic or dt swiss hubs) so maybe i had a bad hub in the past.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the halo supadrive hubs are pretty mental...
  • supersonic
    Yep, Halo are loud. XTR are sublime ie smooth and quiet :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    but if you want quiet, surely a fixed gear mtb is the way to go... :twisted:
  • The only reason I asked is because i have just sold my wheels that had Hope XC hubs and now need a new wheelset, I was going to go for Hoipe Pro 2's because I have gone to 20mm through axle on the front

I suppose 1 benefit from the noisy freehub is that I would hear it being stolen from a mile away!!
  • supersonic
    The only noise you'll hear if I ever descend into fixie terrritory will be a shotgun as I blow my head off.

:wink:
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:

i had an ooooold shimano deore hub on my old cannondale and it was so quiet i was certain it had a friction clutch of some sort in there as opposed to pawls
  • Anonymous
    but if you want quiet, surely a fixed gear mtb is the way to go... :twisted:
    Yep. Pristine silence as you lie unconscious and motionless at the bottom of a small drop,
    The only sounds being the slow trickle of blood from your head running down the trail.

Ah, bliss.
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

i had an ooooold shimano deore hub on my old cannondale and it was so quiet i was certain it had a friction clutch of some sort in there as opposed to pawls

Exactly that, the Shimano silent clutch. Worked a bit differently.
  • Anonymous
    that explains it then, that was a lovely hub.
  • supersonic
    Yer, I think the old Shimano hubs were a bit better.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Mmmm, I love shimano rear hubs. I'd like a shimano saint on the rear, please.
  • supersonic
    I love my XTR M965 hubs. The skewers... I nearly came when I shut them the first time.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, Shimano skewers are perfection. But I have Maxle front and rear.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    I love my XTR M965 hubs. The skewers... I nearly came when I shut them the first time.

if you think they are good, you should get some string and a lime.
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    I have the Hope Pro 2's and when I first heard them I looked into ways to dampen them down but after racing down the trails the other night I actually love the sound now. Yes, there is the added bonus of alerting people to your presence as you begin the catch up with people :)
  • Tune make some noisy (and expansive) hubs.

I'm not a fan of ProII hubs, the noise does nothing for me and some of the older models are known to assplode.

I'm with sheeps on this, my DT hubs sound brill. Solid without being noisy for the sake of it. I'll certainly buy them again.
  • Clicky hubs are great, none of that shouting out to bikers at trails centres slower than you, red sock brigade on a bridal path, horses arse blocking your access, let the clicky hub do the work for you, pedal backward for extra effect. 8)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I like loud hubs, esp the sound th hope's make, but any louder, I.E the Halo's and the chris Kings are just a bit stupid and sound crap.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I've got Hope Pro II on the Whyte but most of my riding is in the perfect peace of the countryside. When under power there's just the gentle rustle of the nettles brushing against my arms and the soft ripping sound of brambles gouging my legs. But when I stop pedalling the wildlife thinks it's under attack with AK47s and there's an exposion of pheasants, buzzards and deer in all directions.

I've now got into the habit of pedalling all the time - even downhill :?

Is there any way of replacing the freewheel mechanism without replacing the hub or is it integral?
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I've got Hope Pro II on the Whyte but most of my riding is in the perfect peace of the countryside. When under power there's just the gentle rustle of the nettles brushing against my arms and the soft ripping sound of brambles gouging my legs. But when I stop pedalling the wildlife thinks it's under attack with AK47s and there's an exposion of pheasants, buzzards and deer in all directions.

I've now got into the habit of pedalling all the time - even downhill :?

Is there any way of replacing the freewheel mechanism without replacing the hub or is it integral?
    My mate has an old pro 2 on which he has done about 6 years of regular riding, and he's seriveced it very regularly, and its now totaly silent, so maybe taking the hub apart and giving the freehub a serivce may help it. Otherwise get yourself a shimano hub.... :wink:

My Xt is almost silent save the gentle, reasuring and almost soothing clicketyclick sound.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My view is that anyone who buys a hub based on how loud it clicks is a sheepscnut.
    :)
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Sun Abbah/Lawwill - I know someone with Pro2's and they sound alittle more mechanical, but I'd say the Abbah's are slightly louder. But performance comes first for me :wink:
  • I have Pro 2s on one bike and Pro 3s on the other and the Pro 3s are quite noticeably louder.

In my defence, I got neither for their clickyness so am not a sheepscnut - well, not for this reason anyway... :lol:
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203

Thanks for that, I've now got to clean up the coffee and bickies i've just spat over the keyboard laughing so much....
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....