Hilly routes near Oxford

S0rin
S0rin Posts: 106
I'm moving to Oxford in a couple of months, so I'm after some good routes. Looking at the map, it looks like Brill is the nearest hilly area, but still particularly challenging.

My current staple route is 100km with 2000m of climbing, including a couple of 20% climbs.
Does anyone have any similar, or preferably harder, routes around Oxford?

Cheers

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Loads of climbing on the doorstep in the Chilterns - just head south east! Check out the climbs around Chinnor, Princes Risborough, Stokenchurch.

Brill Hill is ok, but once you've climbed it from all 3 directions, you'll be bored with it.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    If you’re riding around Brill, it’s easy to incorporate the climbs from Dorton up towards Chilton, Chilton to Chearsley and then the climb up to Ashendon and back towards Brill for another couple of laps...!
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Try following the Ridgeway on a map from Ivinghoe Beacon heading south westerley and you will soon come across lots of hills to discover on the bike. Or walk it, its a great walk.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Brill is OK, but add in Ashendon and the other ridges in the area and it gets more challenging.

Go the other way to the Cotswolds and you can rack up some hills as well and as said once you get to the Chilterns you can find some good climbing - Whiteleaf Cross (Princes Risborough) is the only local entry in the '100 Greatest Cycling Climbs' book, but its a fair step from Oxford..
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...