A Garmin, a fancy Garmin, a s/h power system or what?

hi, and thanks in advance for your patience :)

Im a keen middling sort of rider in many ways
I ride with a bunch of regulars and although not the fastest Im certainly not the slowest

I have just returned from watching the Tour and comfortably rode to the top of Tourmalet via another Col to get there

Whilst abroad I have been talked into next years Etape
To be honest I was kicking myself for missing this years

In the meantime I have 500 pounds to spend on making myself faster
Mainly to get closer to the mate I rode with in the Pyrenees who is on an althoether different level

I have a nice bike with an Ultegra groupset Im happy with and nice wheels Im not even thinking of upgrading

The money will be spent on something else, thoughts as follows:

Garmin 500 - although apart from data logging Im not sure what else this serves as I have an accurate conventional HRM/bike computer

Garmin 705 - this interests me from a training point of view, but having looked at the manuals online exactly how useful is it and what do you do with it in reality?

Power stuff - this is what my fit mate is raving about. 500 nicker is pushing it I admit but if Im patient and syphon off some of the housekeeping is a possible

Winter bike - the clever moneys here, but I do not ride thro the dark months as I hate the roads this time of the year, however I do regularly use my MTB with lights, Im not sure a winter bike would actually get me out that much

Personal trainer - again an outside option, with a young family my riding opportunites are precious and any more time on the bike tough to justify

So comments welcome
I admit its a series of questions with no answer :) and Im fortunate to have good biking DNA but I do have some spare cash and spending it on bikes would make me happier

For me its the 705 vs waiting to buy some SRM cranks at a good price

Dont be shy - Im a big boy LOL

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Can you get SRM cranks even second hand at 500 quid?

I'd go for a PowerTap, and if you can find some extra pennies, maybe a turbo for the winter. Perhaps borrow one first if you've never used one, to see if you get on with it.

I honestly can't see how a Garmin will help you get faster without power.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    +1 for the Powertap, look in classifieds, you'll get a 2nd hand wireless (ANT+) set up within your budget.
    You can get 2nd hand Ergomo BB power meters for a similar budget, but they are a lot rarer!
    However, £500 will buy you around one years quality coaching, and even without power readings, just a HRM, you will see big improvements...
    :wink:

EDIT:

Current examples...

Ergomo set up

Powertap Elite +
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Power meter and a cheap turbo will solve a lot of your problems with regard riding constructively during the winter.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Put that money towards a coach. Or get a PowerTap and a book on how to improve while using it.
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    I'd think about a coach first and then I'd wait for the Metrigear power meter to be launched. If what they say is true I see it as the future of powermeters. It works via the pedals, so need to worry about weight and wheels. Plus it gives data on each leg and aims to be cheaper than a powertap.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd give the £500 to me and I'll tell you how to lose 140lb in 60 days following a simple rule.

You too could have excess skin like this guy!

amazing-weight-loss-16677-1232634448-2.jpg
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    OMG thats awful lol
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    eeek information overload eeek...scarred for life...eeek :shock:
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Nap - please, PLEASE don't post pics of yourself on the forum any more! :mrgreen:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can't believe it took 2.5hrs for someone to crack that joke!

:shock:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I can't believe it took 2.5hrs for someone to crack that joke!

:shock:

It was a joke!? :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    DaveyL wrote:
    I honestly can't see how a Garmin will help you get faster without power.

The same way every cyclist managed before the invention of powermeters...

Power measurements are a great tool to have for an athlete but you can train and improve with HR, speed, gradient etc. quite easily.
    exercise.png
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    That Metrigear system looks like it will be good if it comes in at the forecast price of £600 although it appears a 705 or similar will be needed on top as it doesn't come with a computer.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think its going to be well into 2011 before the Metrigear is available.
    More problems but still living....