Problem installing 6 bolt adaptors to Mavic Crossrides

max丨mo
max丨mo Posts: 177
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got my new Crossrides in the post, ordered 6 bolt adaptors but I dont think I got any?

I have taken a pic of the 4 adaptors that came in the box.

dscf6956.jpgdscf6957.jpg

How on earth can I bolt my 6 bolt rotors into these? Or have I just been given centrelocks instead?

Am I just being very dumb here?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put the adaptor on and then the disc and then the lock ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • max丨mo
    I am a moron, its official! Thanks for that..

So no bolts needed? That seems a good design!

Can I just tighten this lockring by hand or should I be usig a certain tool?
  • nicklouse
    you should use an external BB tool.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • max丨mo
    Thanks Nick, much appreciated.

Not got the tool so will pop down the lbs in the morning with a few cakes and see if they'll tighten em up for me.
  • nicklouse
    thats the way to do it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd buy the tool.

This is one thing you want to ensure is always correctly done up.

You are relying on 1 'bolt' now rather than 6.

I have exactly the same as you. Everytime I check them it seems to need tightening a bit due to the forward and back flex I think.

12 quid I think for the Shimano version of the tool - forget the cakes...
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Good idea to get a torque wrench as well, they don't write the 40N/mm on the side of the Shimano ones just for fun...

Must admit I was expecting to bolt my rotors on as well having recently changed - was even trying to get hold of some Threadlock in advance, but not needed... Now just need to wait for the pads and rotors to bed in...
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Chunkers1980
    I have no idea how a torque wrench would fit on my HTII tool - it's the Shimano one.

Take it to actually use a torque wrench you would need a socket type tool.

As with anything on a bike feel and need is often more important than the actual torque measurement. The need here is as tight as you dare feeling that you won't strip anything and make it one of your regular checks.
  • max丨mo
    edited August 2010
    my LBS tightened em up for me, and installed my cassette, and were chuffed at the jammy donuts I handed them in return, good bunch of lads.

Yeah, I'm looking at getting one of those toolkits that cost about £40 that seem to include most tools needed for all bike repairs. I have all the basic tools already but no BB or crank tools as yet.
  • max丨mo
    Is this the one?

Clicky
  • Chunkers1980
    Yep that's the puppy.

This is a good one to have as ones that insert over the top (enabling a torque wrench), you'd need to remove the hub axel, and that would be pointless.

To really torque it up (but being careful and using your brain) you can stick a seat post over the end to give you some more leverage.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203

To really torque it up (but being careful and using your brain) you can stick a seat post over the end to give you some more leverage.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Chunkers you're a bl00dy animal
    :wink:

Please please please do not ever try to take to take a Japanese motorcycle engine apart using this method, i did once a long time ago in my youf, and a five minute minor service became a complete engine rebuild....
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Chunkers1980
    Honestly these need to be proper tight otherwise they do come loose.

You really don't want them to come undone - it's going to be painful. Hand tight on the trail is not enough to use it for the way home really.

Watch out for clicks and creeks from the caliper region - it's a sign that something is up..

Check them every month, and get a feel for what you think is the correct torque....