Clunk clunk...

thesim1990
thesim1990 Posts: 95
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Got a Rockhopper SL Pro 2 weeks ago and have done about 34 miles on it so far (all off road).

Up at Kielder yesterday and the bike started to make this aluminium sounding clunk everytime I went over bumps. Checked headset to find no play and checked fork to find no play in the fork either.

I suspect one of the rods inside the fork is buggered, but has anyone else got any suggestions?? :(

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Its all under warranty, so thats one good thing!

Try compressing the fork while standing still. Does it still make the noise? If yes, you're probably right, something is knackered in the fork (but i'd be very suprised if that were the case).

Could also be your pedals or BB (its suprising how the sound carries itself when on the trails). Check the BB is tight and also the pedal and pedal body is tight (if applicable)

Only other thing i can think of which again, would suprise me is, the fork bottoming out. When you say bumps, were they enough for the fork to run through all of its travel? if this is the case, can they be adjusted to be stiffer/have more rebound?

Best bet if i was you, take the bike back to where you bought it and let them sort it
  • Compressing the fork standing still doesn't do anything. I will take it back to the shop and see what they say, could be something as simple as dirt inbetween the fork and frame!