Newbie Rollers Question

bunker22
bunker22 Posts: 10
edited August 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I had my first experience on my new rollers yesterday (Tacx Antares pro). I think I will get the hang of them eventually.

My question: I kept building up static electricity and kept getting a shock when I brushed the wall I was near. Is this common? The rollers are plastic, the bike is aluminium. It got to the point where it was quite offputting although only slightly painful.

TIA

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Are you using them on a carpet?
  • bunker22
    No, Concrete garage floor.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Same problem with me, makes it interesting to listen to music since I often get a nice jolt inside the ear :shock:
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Just came across this. I'm still riding mine in the doorway just in case and whenever my arm got close to the side by the door, all the hairs on my arm stood up.

Carbon frame on mine.

Also got a small shock when I turned the lights on. The biggest shock was that I stayed upright while I did it :-)
  • bunker22
    I solved this by using a short metal bib chain with a crocodile clip on one end which I attach to the gear cable as it passes under the BB, and the rest of the chain reaches the floor. The initial problem was finding where to attach the chain so it did not get caught in the rollers or restrict the movement of the bike in any way.

I can now stand up, take a drink from a bottle and go for at least 45 minutes without grabbing a support!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    bunker22 wrote:
    I can now stand up, take a drink from a bottle and go for at least 45 minutes without grabbing a support!

Next thing will be one-leg drills, no-hands :twisted: