Fox RP23 early bottom out?

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Been getting an intermittent loud click on my bike (Marin Wolf Ridge 2008) when climbing. Its probably the seatpost or saddle but thought I would check that the rear suspension pivots were running smoothly just incase it was them causing the noise.

Let all of the air out of the rear shock (Fox RP23) and then pushed down on the suspension. To my surprise the shock only went down about 3/4 of the way down before stopping dead. Putting a lot of pressure on the suspension then moved it maybe another mm. The travel felt smooth although there was some squishing noise but it has been doing this since I had it serviced a few months ago.

Is this normal?

I always assumed that the shock would go all the way down quite easily with the air out?

Cheers

Stu

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There will still be air in there - you have compressed the remainer inside so has ramped up the spring rate.

Press the valve again with the shock compressed.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Ah yes, I was actually just thinking that. A bit like when you let the air out of a tyre but then have to squeeze the rest out py pinching the tube.

Cheers for the quick reply. :)

Stu
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Also I think it releases air from the negative chamber, so cycle a few times too.

or short answer, normal
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?