Computers

forcutty
forcutty Posts: 1,055
edited August 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Does anyone have a computer on their bike to help training. If so what do you suggest?
I ride a Bianchi via nirone 7 ultegra if that makes any difference. [/i]

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Garmin Edge 605, I can put interval sessions into it, but I wish I had the 705, that has HRM and Cadence built in.

I'd be lost without my 605 but wish I got a 705, they're much better for training.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have a 705. They're an expensive bit of kit but you get what you pay for as it also does some mapping features to enable you to use it for walking if you download the correct map. You can get them cheap from outside the UK via the internet but beware you can get stung for VAT and import duty, which works out worse than buying it in the UK in the first place.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Wow that looks ace 8)
    Just need to save up for it now :cry:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Garmin Connect website is a useful aid for your training plans and assessing any improvements. I think you need at least a 500 to work with it. Certainly the 605 and 705 work with it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    the ultimate computer would be either a garmin or if you have a lot of spare cash around, a power tap or srm cranks. Then you can look at it all as a data base.
  • got a polar cs 200 with cadence
    its a good bit of kit if you dont want to stretch to gps
    :D
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    got a polar cs 200 with cadence
    its a good bit of kit if you dont want to stretch to gps
    :D

+1 but I don't use cadence. you can fit alot of stuff on the screen!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    705 FTW
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The Garmin 605 is a waste of money as a training tool, as Will says he would do it differently second time around.

If Garmin is the route you want to go down have a look at the 500 with cadence and heart rate. No mapping with it, but it's a training tool you want?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Garmi ... 360045830/

I have a 705 and also a Cycleops Cervo for use with my powertap, I choose the cervo everytime because I find the mapping and inacurate calorie tracking on the Garmin useless for training use.