garmin 705 mount

jthef
jthef Posts: 226
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Word of warning to all Garmin edge users.
On this mornings commute my 705 dropped off the mount, or should I say the mount failed 1 part left on handlebars and the other still on the back of the 705. :(
Had unit for 19 months now and done about 7500 mile approx.
So check no cracks on you mount, I was luck on company site so going slow and no one behind so could retrieve before being run over. :roll:

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Was it the old type mount or new type mount?

The old type mount had a habit of doing what you describe hence they redesigned it. 19months also puts it roughly in the same sort of time that they were sold with the old style mount.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    mine got run over down a hill when i was doing 40 :(

i was able to retrieve the pieces.

garmin replaced for £100 fortunately.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Could I hijack your topic and enquire if anybody has ever changed the battery on the 705.
    I have had mine 18 months and after not using it for 2 months due to a bike accident I found that there is no response when switching on. Garmin state that they do not repair but will supply a refurbished replacement for £99. I am sure a new battery would be much cheaper for my little used unit.
  • jthef
    Must of been an old type as new new one I have got today is different.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    Could I hijack your topic and enquire if anybody has ever changed the battery on the 705.
    I have had mine 18 months and after not using it for 2 months due to a bike accident I found that there is no response when switching on. Garmin state that they do not repair but will supply a refurbished replacement for £99. I am sure a new battery would be much cheaper for my little used unit.

As it`s out of warranty I`d open it up and see what the battery looks like. I opened up a Nuvi sat-nav the other week, the battery pack just plugged into the main board.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    As it`s out of warranty I`d open it up and see what the battery looks like. I opened up a Nuvi sat-nav the other week, the battery pack just plugged into the main board.
    This. Would be easy to replace and pretty cheap too. At worst you might have to solder something. Just don't make a habit of burning yourself ... :oops:

Anyway I can tell the difference between the old and new mounts? Preferably without taking it off the stem.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    the new mount has the word "garmin" moulded into the upper of the two retaining rails, it also has an insertion direction arrow between the two rails

the upper surfaces of the new mount are mostly matt finsh, on the old mount they are mostly shiny
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jthef
    the new mount is solid so the garmin will not move. Where as my original had movement which made it more readable on the move.
    HTH
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Phew! My bikes have the new mount. :)

Movement? As in it rotated or tilted or something? :? They expected that not to break?