Who's going to win the Worlds?

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited August 2010 in Pro race

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Gilbert or Cancellara, probably. Maybe a record breaking swansong for Freire. Maybe Farrar if he has a good team behind him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Had Boonen not had his injury I would have definitely said a Belgian.

Now I still think it's likely, but not a dead cert.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    If the god of trick cyclists is doing his job it'll be Mr Robert McEeeeewan, who will then retire and donate his left over energy to Mr Cav.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Evans.

I hope.

Because he's been an awesome WC this year.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I am. But it's not quite the Cycling Wolrd's you are talking about. Close though.... 8)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pokerface wrote:
    I am. But it's not quite the Cycling Wolrd's you are talking about. Close though.... 8)

If you get a rainbow jersey, it's the Worlds dude :wink:

Peter Sagan FTW (for the worlds)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

If you get a rainbow jersey, it's the Worlds dude :wink:

Peter Sagan FTW (for the worlds)
    Not a chance. Any evidence he can do anything over 250km?

Belgians have got a great team. Gilbert, Devolder, Leukemans, Roussler, van summeran, van Avermaert, van den broeck, and even Boonen if he has recovered. Perfect for that course.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Belgians have got a great team. Gilbert, Devolder, Leukemans, Roussler, van summeran, van Avermaert, van den broeck, and even Boonen if he has recovered. Perfect for that course.

They should be up there. And Sagan is wishful thinking, but he'd be a great WC.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5088/ ... -Pijl.aspx

That should warm your heart Rick.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    He did that Philadelphia Classic, or whatever it's called, but I agree, not quite LBL or the Worlds.
    Brabantse Pijl indeed - it has Freire written all over it.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

They should be up there. And Sagan is wishful thinking, but he'd be a great WC.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5088/ ... -Pijl.aspx

That should warm your heart Rick.
    Haha.

Indeed. It's only because I watch sporza coverage. Give me a dutch rider over a Belgian any day. Only problem is that the tour is all that really matters to them, something I don't share.

I also forgot Nuyens!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    FJS wrote:
    He did that Philadelphia Classic, or whatever it's called, but I agree, not quite LBL or the Worlds.

That's Bettini's tip as well.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    FJS wrote:

I think Frieire is too old now just doesnt seem to have that burst anyomre , cue him creating a record breaking 4th win :)
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Moray Gub wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I think Frieire is too old now just doesnt seem to have that burst anyomre , cue him creating a record breaking 4th win :)

He won MSR this year?!
    Mañana
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    pb21 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    FJS wrote:

He won MSR this year?!

aye well apart from this years MSR he doesent seem to have that burst anymore :lol:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Gilbert for me.
  • Oz Chief
    Oz Chief Posts: 176
    What about Norway?

I cant work out who I would favour between Hushovd & EBH. Although Thor had a poor tour by his standards, the course seems very similar to the Barcelona stage of last year's tour.
  • pb21
    Eleven circuits of this is going to really sort them out...

00000179-fullsize.jpg
    Mañana
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I thought it was supposed to be a flat course for the sprinters or is an Aussie first cat climb actually just a bump?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    There's an 80 km flat section to the circuit then 11 laps of it, so the hill will be less of a factor than normal, which is why I think it's being considered a sprinters circuit. It looks tough and those who've seen it, have been comparing it to the Madrid course from 2005 (where Boonen won after Petacchi was dropped on one of the climbs). It's going to suit a puncheur like Gilbert or a sprinter who can hang on when it's hilly, like Freire.
  • rick_chasey
    I can't see spain being able to hold it together for a sprint finish for Freire.

I'm just gutted Boonen's injured because I'd be SO excited because he'd be right in the hunt for this.
  • pb21
    I don't think there are many sprinters who will be able to hang on to eleven climbs of 1k @ 10% and 500m @ 10%, apart from maybe Freire.
    Mañana
  • rick_chasey
    pb21 wrote:
    I don't think there are many sprinters who will be able to hang on to eleven climbs of 1k @ 10% and 500m @ 10%, apart from maybe Freire.

It's does look like a fantastic course. Tough enough for some good selection, but not so tough we're robbed of smart racing.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    andyp wrote:
    It's going to suit a puncheur like Gilbert or a sprinter who can hang on when it's hilly, like Freire.

Surely Hushovd would be thrown in the mix if that's they type it's going to suit
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    It's going to suit a puncheur like Gilbert or a sprinter who can hang on when it's hilly, like Freire.

Surely Hushovd would be thrown in the mix if that's they type it's going to suit

Possibly, but being Norwegian is not an advantage in the Worlds.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Cycling Tips rode the Geelong loop with a helmet cam:
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/01/2010-world-championship-course-geelong-australia/
    Looks like the sort of course that'll weed out the bunch through attrition. I think it's 8 circuits. I'd be surprised if Hushovd figures.
  • Oz Chief
    Oz Chief Posts: 176
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/01/2010-world-championship-course-geelong-australia/
    Looks like the sort of course that'll weed out the bunch through attrition. I think it's 8 circuits. I'd be surprised if Hushovd figures.
    Maybe too hilly for Thor but he's probably the most likely of the sprinters.

Spain would have a few cards to play with Rodriguez, the Sanchez brothers and Freire.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kolobnev is always there or thereabouts whenever he pulls on a Russia jersey.

And I'll whisper this... I wouldn't put it past Vino either.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    Kolobnev is always there or thereabouts whenever he pulls on a Russia jersey.

And I'll whisper this... I wouldn't put it past Vino either.

Kolobnev is the new Michael Boogerd when it comes to classics.

Very good at coming 2nd.
  • rick_chasey
    Oz Chief wrote:
    Maybe too hilly for Thor but he's probably the most likely of the sprinters.

Spain would have a few cards to play with Rodriguez, the Sanchez brothers and Freire.

Can't see the spanish working that well with each other this year...

Also, Spaniards tend to ride out the Vuelta too, which doesn't normally help their worlds effort.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Is there any chance of EBH getting some help from some members of the british team, due to the Sky connection? I realise that the last time brits rode for their trade team in the worlds, they got into a spot of bother, but this would be different!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live