First Bike

Bigjay21
Bigjay21 Posts: 10
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello,
Im thinking of getting into the whole mtbing thing (not done it since i was a kid) i live right by cannock chase so have the perfect area for it. The only thing is i havent got a clue what bike to buy and i dont want to blow a load of cash incase i dont like it !!!!

Cheers Jay :?

Comments

• Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I see nobody has bothered to reply to you Jay. I'm new here myself but been on loads of other forums for motorbikes and cars. I don't like to see threads go unanswered.

Anyway , back to your question. Just read thru the threads. About 1 in every 4 in the beginers section is about buying bikes. You'll find loads of suggestions.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    It is such an open ended question.

The common advice you'll see is try to budget £300-£500

Buy a hardtail at this price range, not full suspension

Check out Halfords Carrera and Boardman ranges as they offer good value for money
    Also the Decathlon ranges are apparently cheap and cheerful.

Also budget for a helmet, something to carry water in (be it a simple bottle and cage like I use or a hydration backpack) and get yourself a decent pair of padded shorts unless you fancy walking like John Wayne for a couple of days after a ride.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • old tart
    old tart Posts: 3
    I am a beginner too but just went round loads of shops trying out bikes and having a ride on them. Didnt really know what I was looking for in a bike but have settled on one I felt comfortable on. Had it through my emplyers cycle scheme so dont actually have it in my hands yet! guess it depends if you are usiing it for something else.

I did buy a cheap (£100) bike from a chain store shop but its dire! it has twist shift gears and you have to have a grip like Arnie to move them. Its so heavy as well-like riding a skip!

I havent been to the chase yet but plan to go as soon as my bike arrives!
  • kaytronika wrote:
    It is such an open ended question.

The common advice you'll see is try to budget £300-£500

Buy a hardtail at this price range, not full suspension

Yeah, I think that's sensible advice. If you go any cheaper, you risk picking up a dog - though there are exceptions, just not many. It may seem expensive to a complete beginner, but that budget will get you a great bike that you should be happy with, rather than picking up something cheaper and always having it in your mind that you need to upgrade.

You won't find loads of variation in hardtails at this price range. There are a few longer travel fork bikes (frame geometry will differ to accomodate it and generally built stronger), such as the Carrera Fury. These offer better performance on the downs, but not so on the ups, with riding position more suited to the former, and often more weight in the bike.. Most you will find the more standard 100mm fork at this price.

The Carrera, Voodoo and Boardman's range in halfords are great value. I have a Fury myself. Though there's loads out there, so just have a look around. See what you like the look of and feel free to ask about it here.
  • pvtpile
    pvtpile Posts: 74
    you could hire a bike from http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/bikehire.php to give it a try and see if you like it
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    pvtpile wrote:
    you could hire a bike from http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/bikehire.php to give it a try and see if you like it
    ^^ this

Swinnos have a good selection of entry-level HTs for hire and Mammoth also hire Spesh Hardrocks etc.

If you enjoy the off-road experience, avoid entry-level bikes by big name manufacturers - you will pay a premium for the name. Either buy used or have a look at the Carrera Kraken/Fury at Halfords.

As always, try before you buy. The bike that feels right from the start is the bike for you.
  • hi mate, got this for sale if your after a cheap but decent bike

bought it new for £330 this year, its a great bike for riding trails and tracks and comfortable on the road too. Letting it go cheap as i need a new car

check it out http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12717923

thanks
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    I'd go second hand if you can source something from your local bike shop. They may have a really nice bike - I picked up a Kon Muni Mula a few years back, mint condition for £200 - this was an £800 bike.

Loved it til it got stolen in France :cry:
  • terryowen
    terryowen Posts: 139
    hi go to your local bike shop,tell them what your budget is what you want the bike for,they should put you on the right track,and try out a few bikes.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    If your not badge snob and you want good value then halfords for either a Boardman,Carrera,or Voodoo.
    I got a Carrera Fury at x-mas,cracking bike for the money.

Did follow the dog a few months ago. What a rush. Can't wait to try the new Monkey Trail.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Im thinking of getting into the whole mtbing thing (not done it since i was a kid) i live right by cannock chase so have the perfect area for it. The only thing is i havent got a clue what bike to buy and i don't want to blow a load of cash in case i don't like it !!!!

I was purely a road biker, but thought that living in Aviemore it was a bit rude not have a go at off road :-) I won a bike for 80 quid on ebay. It was new and unused, an unwanted raffle prize that cost 220 quid from Halfords or wherever. I'd consider it junk these days! But it lasted well and I used it for a year until I bought something better.

Just get something like that, loads on ebay and gumtree bought with good intentions then left in the garage. Doesn't matter too much how good it is, just use it and see if you want to invest in a proper bike. You'll easily sell if for what it cost you. The main thing is to have a go. You could spend decent money on a bike then discover it's the wrong kind of bike for you. This way you learn a bit about the sport and can make an informed decision when it's upgrade time.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!