Coed Y Brenin disapointment

phildavis
phildavis Posts: 164
edited December 2010 in Routes
I went to Coed Y Brenin lasy weekend as it is supposedly the "daddy" of trail centres in the UK and i must say that "the dragons back" , although it has some good sections, is m ostly boring fire rode climbs. Afan, Dalby and now Cannock piss all over it. Who ever designed a trail with so much fire road wants shafting, what a waist of a 4 hr drive....rant over. On the positive, found an ace B&B not far away.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fireroad climbs that get you to some ace descents.
    Called "the daddy" because it was the first.
  • phildavis
    Afan, Dalby and the liek all have firer oad climbs, a necesary evil unfortunately, butt the on on Dragons back is Waaayyy to long for the decent at the end, no need. That said the good bits were good. Not dissin, more dissapointed.
  • Anonymous
    I take it you mean the long shallow climb from Hermon, up to nearly the top of the mountain, before coming back down through the Gomez, Morticia, Puglsey Lurch and Uncle Fester sections?
    Long shallow climb and a (still pretty damned long) steep descent back down again.
    That's a 650+foot descent.

I can see why the long winding fireroad up to it is a bit boring, but that is one corking descent.
    Did you try any of the other routes? MBR is a fantastic, compact little run that has short steep climbs, followed by singletrack descents.
    Seems a bit strange to diss an entire forest because you only rode one of the trails, especially the ONE trail that most people moan about that fireroad climb on.
  • phildavis
    as i said. im not dissin. I said that i found the Dragons back boring not Coed Y as a whole. Didn't have time to try any others but will on my next visit. So you reckon MBR ?
  • Do you mean the long fire road just after you pass the cafe in someone's back garden?

I usually go straight up the road instead, it's much steeper but about a tenth of the distance.
  • Anonymous
    Definitely MBR, it's a great little trail.
    There's now also a completely reworked False Teeth section, apparently, which I hope to head over there and try out in a few days.
  • phildavis
    Cheers, will give it a go next time. has anyone been to dalby since the new stuff opened?
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Wots wrong with fireroad climbs?

I'd rather die-the-death-of-1,000-pedal-strokes on a fireroad, than be splattered by a car, anyday.

They are theraputic, a challenge, NOT boring and give you a chance to take the countryside atmosphere in...If you can breath and not swallow too many flies/bugs, lol !

It's called Mountain Biking, so there's gonna be up and downs. Technical up's like in Cwmcarn can be a slog too, and make you too shagged to enjoy the down.

Embrace fireroads, as they are your FRIEND !!
    Adopt a fireroad TODAY !
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I went last month and rode the Beast first followed by the Tarw trail in the afternoon (which is the original MBR trail i first rode in 2002).

Both were pretty good. Yes there's fireroad but it's a necessary evil.

Having said that i just got back from a trip to Les Arcs in the Alps and we did 16,000 feet of descending in the first day 8)
    FCN = 4
  • Killer Bee
    Killer Bee Posts: 61
    The new fals teeth section is really good. It's quite similar to bits of the black run at Llandegla i.e. jumps and drops. Although they have put in one 8-9ft drop which pops out of nowhere, speaking to someone they've had about 4 ambulances up there since it opened.
  • Anonymous
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I went last month and rode the Beast first followed by the Tarw trail in the afternoon (which is the original MBR trail i first rode in 2002).
    Actually, the Tarw is the original Red Bull route, with a little bit of the old Karrimor trail added to it.
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    phildavis wrote:
    and now Cannock wee-wee all over it.

I beg to differ, I've been to Cannock riding all the "hidden" stuff for many years now but since they built the new section over the railway (where the good stuff used to be) what with all the braking ruts I think it's the worst it's ever been.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Splottboy wrote:
    Wots wrong with fireroad climbs?

They arent too bad if you can see the scenery but if it is just a slog through a pine forest and all you can see is bloody trees and a ribbon of gravel road to follow they are dire
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    you mean views like this?
    coedy-panorama.jpg
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    coedy-panorama.jpg

Damn you Yeehaa !!!!!! I can't get to Wales til September...now I am missing the plce like mad again.
    Some will think I'm bonkers, but Peebles in Scotland and some of the areas of the other 7Stanes are crap for views compared to Wales.
    Caz xx
  • Anonymous
    Peebles was quite similar to Wales, I thought, but the village itself was very picturesque.

I've got more (and better) landscape photos in my flickr page - link is in my sig.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Peebles was quite similar to Wales, I thought, but the village itself was very picturesque.

I've got more (and better) landscape photos in my flickr page - link is in my sig.

I daren't look at the piccies, or I'll be getting the 600cc out an making my way to Wales as soon as possible lol
    Caz xx
  • Splottboy
    Well, you ain't gonna get much of a view on fire road climbs, coz, they are really designed to stop forest fires spreading, the gap is supposed to stem the flames etc.

But, it they've been felling, the views are amazing.

I used to ride in a forest on Anglesey, and it wasn't until they cleared some of the forest that I saw a huge lake. And I'd ridden there about 20 plus times !!!

Surely on the climb, you can contemplate:
    1. Your existance,
    2. Why all Girls Groups sound the same,
    3. What Schleck has to do to win and
    4.Why the Hell did I decide to ride route this today?!
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:
    2. Why all Girls Groups sound the same,
    Ghost singers.
  • Splottboy
    Just choked on some orange peel reading that !!! Da Iawn!

Think I'd prefer real Ghosts...think we got some here.

Saw "something" pass our basement door last year and my son saw a "woman" in our basement not long after, but we had no one staying at the time.
  • Anonymous
    No, really. Ghost singers. Nothing paranormal about it, except the name.
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    Hi,

I've just come back from a week in Wales biking, I'm going to have to say "speak to a local" regarding the Dragons Back.

(If I'm repeating something already said, I apologise)

There's a short cut that will negate almost 5 Km of fire road straight after Hermon head up the minor road, once you see the sign for the Beast \ Dragons back don't take it carry on up the climb, you'll see a house on your left (it's a steep road climb), carry on and take the 2nd right, this will take you to Gomez.

You've now skipped 5km of Fire road :)

Cannock is my local trail and I have to disagree, Coed Y Brenin (especially if it's been wet) is a trail worthy of it's Mecca like status. The rocky berms were pretty awesome, plus there's a big selection of trails.

I've done Afan and almost wept about its stop start nature, betws y coed (Marin Trail) wasn't half the fun of the Dragons Back IMHO.

Try Wyre Forest (try hooking up with a local), it has an awesome selection of natural trails. Fire roads are unavoidable at most places :(
  • Splottboy
    Ok, here's another one, for free:

At the Marins start, don't go up the singletrack/fir road start.
    Instead, go on the "old" route road, ( Down below to the left will be the church/FC office.)

Then at the first hairpin, go straight on, climbing steadily.
    After about 5 -10 mins, you get to a really tuff section, with water running down it most of the year. ( I've cleared it 7 out of 10 times.)
    This is a REAL TUFF climb, short, sharp, technical, with a sharp r/hand hairpin 1/2 way.
    Levels out after about 100mts.
    When it does, you're at a juction. ( Lake thro the trees.) Turn right, short climb, and you'll be at the start of the first great descent.
    Saves about 15mins of climbing overall.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Phildavis, how dare you say CYB Dragons Back is boring fireroads? Now go back work on your fitness, and learn how to appreciate NWales beautie while climbing on fireroads. You sir amaze me with little comments like that.

CYB is the daddy of all trail centers full stop. If you found something borring, most probably you have to look at yourself first, or try and dare go faster.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Not sure if anyone's realised this, but I don't think most of what we call "fire roads" are actually that at all.
    Forest fires are incredibly rare in Wales, due to our rather, erm, wet climate.
    Almost all the roads are for forestry work, so the trucks can get to the tree felling and so on.

Oh, and they're also for rally cars :lol:
  • phildavis wrote:
    I went to Coed Y Brenin lasy weekend as it is supposedly the "daddy" of trail centres in the UK and i must say that "the dragons back" , although it has some good sections, is m ostly boring fire rode climbs. Afan, Dalby and now Cannock wee-wee all over it. Who ever designed a trail with so much fire road wants shafting, what a waist of a 4 hr drive....rant over. On the positive, found an ace B&B not far away.

I,m pretty astonished to hear that you would like to have some one shafted for wasting your time whilst riding in such a spectacular place !

I bet you are the kind of person who moans about paying the £3 parking fee !

As another has quite rightly said go ride on the Main roads see how soul destroying that is ! You are refering to Mountain Biking arent you ! "BIKING UP A MOUNTAIN" !

Comments like yours really P!SS me off ! get a grip !
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    coedy-panorama.jpg

Unfortunately every time I go to Coed Y B views like that arent available must be something wrong with the projector or something it always looks like this
    Willowgrey.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    See, that's my usual experience of Wales. Surprisingly the last couple of trips have been excellent for weather.

Anyway. Climbs suck. Full stop. :P
  • Anonymous
    stubs wrote:
    Unfortunately every time I go to Coed Y B views like that arent available must be something wrong with the projector or something it always looks like this
    Ah, you must have been there whilst we're replacing the wallpaper. Looks like you've been seeing the plasterboard underneath.
  • Splottboy
    Sshhhh! Don't tell em Everything...They could be - Gulp - English!