QR20/20mm Bolt Through Confusion

stomith
stomith Posts: 332
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Have tried searching but am none the wiser:

Early FOX 36 TALAS has a 20mm Bolt Through setup and is definately not QR. It is the opposite of Quick Release which I shall call SR (Slow Release)

I guess there are also bikes with QR20 mechanisms on their forks.

Is a front wheel which has a 20mm hub suitable for the two different 20mm axles listed above OR are there two distinctly different methods for the 20mm design?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the hubs is the same spec.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    So any 20mm hubbed wheel I buy will fit onto my 20mm Slow Release Fork.

Can it really be that simple? No fussing, tricks, adapters, voodoo......

What is the world coming to.

Thankyou.
  • nicklouse
    a 20mm hub is a 20mm hub and any 20mm axled fork is designed to that standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I have a Fox 36 with QR20 and it works with my Hope Pro 2 20mm hub. QR20 and normal 20mm hubs are exactly the same!

The axle is stationary in both types. Only difference is that QR20 is held in place by two cam levers and a thread, Slow release is a thread and allen bolts. The part of the axle in the hub is still a 20mm cylinder!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited July 2010
    As they said, a 20mm hub is a 20mm hub, end of story, the difference is in the way the axle is held by the fork. Older 20mm axles were held in place by allen bolt etc (i actually rather liked the old marzocchi 20mm axles circa 2000ish, as long as you had a multi tool, they were pretty hassle free). 20mm quick release is basically a 20mm bolt through axle, but it is fastened differently. The most popular (and IMO the best) 20mm QR system is maxle, where the axle screws into the lowers on one side of the fork.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ilovedirt wrote:
    The best 20mm QR system is maxle, where the axle screws into the lowers on one side of the fork.
    That's rather a subjective statement. :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    The best 20mm QR system is maxle, where the axle screws into the lowers on one side of the fork.
    That's rather a subjective statement. :roll:
    Alright, edited.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Still a very subjective statement.
    Would you care to explain WHY you happen to think Maxle is the best?
  • ilovedirt
    Still a very subjective statement.
    Would you care to explain WHY you happen to think Maxle is the best?
    It's reliable, well proven and easy to use. I think the fact that non-rockshox fork manufacturers and frame manufacturers are now paying to use the maxle system speaks for itself. That and i wouldn't trust anything that's come out of a marzocchi factory in the last four years and fox kit is just incredibly overpriced. I'm entitled to an opinion.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Marzocchi's QR20, and Fox's system is also well proven and very easy to use.
    They all work on the same principle, with very minor differences that I'm not sure you're aware of.

Fox's design is identical to Maxle, except that insted of having an expanding thread on the axle, they have two pinch bolts on the fo fork leg that are closed via QRs. The QRs prevent overtightening of th epinch bolts, and the axle is relatively simpler than RS's.

Marzocchi have now opted for a simple in-built torque wrench, basically, so you just screw the axle in until it clicks, and you're ready.

Fundamentall very, very similar indeed. But it could be argued that the Fox is the most mechanically solid design that is least likely of coming undonde by mistake.

I'm afraid there's no place for fanboyism in engineering.
  • ilovedirt
    I'm afraid there's no place for fanboyism in engineering.
    Call me daft, but considering the past experiences I've had with Rocksox, Manitou and Marzocchi products, I find brand loyalty to be a large influence when buying anything suspension related.

And there's no disputing that maxle is the most popular QR20 system.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Most popular, fine, but that's not what you said.
  • ilovedirt
    Most popular, fine, but that's not what you said.
    I said most popular, and in my opinion the best (see the bit RE brand loyalty), as i said, everyone on here is entitled to their opinion, and that's mine. Take it or leave it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    It's not what you actually said though, is it. You changed it to say that. :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    It's not what you actually said though, is it. You changed it to say that. :roll:
    Well yeah, but that's what i meant, when i said "the best", it was still my opinion. What i changed to to was no more or less correct.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    ilovedirt wrote:

And there's no disputing that maxle is the most popular QR20 system.

yes there is.

it just happens that the most popular forks have maxels. it is not like you can change what fitting you have.

any Qr20 system is a compromise whats wrong with a nice and simple 20mm axle?
  • ilovedirt
    nicklouse wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    any Qr20 system is a compromise whats wrong with a nice and simple 20mm axle?
    How is it a compromise? The maxle on my pike is totally solid.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Maxle's strength is compromised because it has slots cut into it, to allow the threads to expand.
    It's not a bad compromise, as there is still evidently plenty of strength left.

It could also be shown that the axle is not clamped as securely as one that uses pinch-bolts to fasten it.
    But, it is very marginally (a tiny tiny ickle biddy difference) faster than a fox 36 setup because you just screw the axle in and fold the QR lever, whereas on a fox you have to flip two additional QR levers.

It's all swings and roundabouts.

I'd say it's more "popular" because RockShox forks are more popular. Personally, I prefer Fox, because it's never come undone on me, whereas I have had a spate of problems with Maxle, where it had to be re-tightened several times a ride.

What's "better"? There is no categorical answer, they are all compromised in different ways.
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah that's true i suppose. I've not really had any problems with my maxle yet (touch wood) that weren't my own fault (didn't keep it greased up, siezed inside the hub).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5