Have my spokes been fitted by an idiot?

0x80
0x80 Posts: 7
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I just noticed something strange about the spokes in my wheels.

In the hub you have spokes that connect from the inside and the outside. When 2 spokes cross each other in the wheel, I would expect the one on the outside of the hub to cross OVER the one connected to the inside of the hub. This way they don't interfere with each other and connect in a straight line to the rim.

In my wheels this is not the case. There are a lot of places there it is the other way around, and one spoke pushes the other out of the way, making it slightly bend.

I started looking at this because I was cycling indoors and noticed my spokes make little noises when I make a sharp turn. I guess this is because they are rubbing against each other when there is a force applied.

My bike is brand new. Should I go back to the shop and have this fixed? Or is this normal?

Comments

• Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Spokes threaded from inside (protruding from outside of flange) should immediately cross over one spoke head, then over another a bit further up, and under a third - in the common three-cross lacing.

You can always tie them at the crossover and solder them like the leathery old cyclists of yesteryear - you'll have fun replacing them though.
  • 0x80
    0x80 Posts: 7
    Thanks, than all is fine. Sorry for the noise.

I did some more research (which I should have done first)
    http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

So apparently my intuition about how spokes should be was wrong. I wonder why they have to be bent like that. O well nevermind.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    0x80 wrote:
    Thanks, than all is fine. Sorry for the noise.

I did some more research (which I should have done first)
    http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

So apparently my intuition about how spokes should be was wrong. I wonder why they have to be bent like that. O well nevermind.
    its to help transfere the load between spokes and probably makes the wheel stronger.as one spoke pulls it also tightens the one its crossing.