QUESTION ABOUT TRANSPORTATION OF NEW BIKE FROM SHOP TO HOME

chuck norris2k9
chuck norris2k9 Posts: 12
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all, im a newbie to the road bike scene but at 37 yrs old ive always ridden mtb/bmx

im just about to order a trek 1.2 from a reputable dealer online, but as i live in east lincs its a good 1.5 hrs from home.

they dont deliver trek bikes (understandable), or do for about £26.

plus id much rather go to the shop and get fitted properly and to pick some other bits up too.

i suppose my main prob is getting the bike back home, obviously im driving there and it will lay flat if i drop the back seats. is this ok to do this? or do i need some sort of rack or carrier? i dont really wanna spend any more on a carrier etc. will the shop question it if i lay it in the car?

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You should be fine laying it in the back - take some old sheets etc to stop it moving around too much. Maybe also remove the front / rear wheels if necessary.

The shop won't question you doing this - you've paid for it!
    Cycling weakly
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I'm sure the shop will not only advise you, but will help you load it into the car safely. I recently had the same issue and they loaded it for me and gave me some large cardboard sheets to ensure it didn't fall against the spare wheels, frame etc. that were also being collected.

Enjoy your new bike!
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • thanks, just wanted to make sure before i travel next week
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    You could put a blanket on the floor of the car, remove the front wheel and lay the bike (mech side up) on the blanket.
    If the car would take a bike in a cardboard bike box, then the shop should oblige.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    +1 for all the above comments.

my roadbike just gets put into the boot of my ford focus with both wheels still on my steed!

If it was my mountain bike, both wheels have to come off.. :/
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    I get my road bike easily in the back of my Corsa complete with wheels, laid on an old duvet.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Twilheimer
    Twilheimer Posts: 189
    I'm lucky, I have an estate car! I lay my bike in there all the time, aside from the odd knock when cornering in town it's fine :) It's advisable for one person to hold it horizontal and another to be in the back door way and pull it in with the forks/front wheel. Enjoy the bike!
  • Twilheimer
    Twilheimer Posts: 189
    I'm lucky, I have an estate car! I lay my bike in there all the time, aside from the odd knock when cornering in town it's fine :) It's advisable for one person to hold it horizontal and another to be in the back door way and pull it in with the forks/front wheel. Enjoy the bike!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Chuck it in the back and drive home, try not to let it move around too much, remove from car and go ride, simples
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    simples

article-1239253-07A3F235000005DC-145_468x342.jpg