Say Hello Wave Goodbye....???????

richardfj
richardfj Posts: 91
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Is there some sort of bike ettiquette I'm missing when I meet other cyclists???

When i first started out i used to be a bit of joey and wave and smile inanely as other cyclists went by but seemed to get met with mostly disdainfull looks or the odd bemused smile...

...over time i've managed to control my enthusiasm and now tend to try to remain cool by nodding or a quick acknowledgement with a slightly raised hand...it takes a lot to temper my joey tendancies though!!!!!

now i don't know the cycling ettiquette in this area but as a number of guys seem to prefer to ride past pretending i'm not there like they are on some sort of secret bike mission or that my rig or gear is just too un-cool for their acknowledgement (it's not by the way i have a low/mid range bike and the correct attire - i think) To be fair most people do say hello or acknowledge but a number don't - often when they are in a group but i'm trying not to generalise here

anyway it's peeing me off, i love this sport, love my bike and just want to say hello, wave or whathever the fcuk i like to what i thought would be like minded people...am i wrong?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    where are you riding??
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • richardfj
    Lincolnshire mainly..in and around grantham and surrounding villages..bourne and sleaford...is it a geographical thing then? maybe it's me...or the pinarello dogma 60.1 and full sky kit that i ride out in....(joke!)
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    ahh lincolnshire is quiet a hilly place so if ur always riding up ir down hills, i would think they are concentrating on the road other than saying hello( il ride upto lincoln tomorrow and wave to ya so ya dont feel left out;) lmao..) if not they are just ignorant buggers!
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    richardfj wrote:
    Lincolnshire mainly..in and around grantham and surrounding villages..bourne and sleaford...is it a geographical thing then? maybe it's me...or the pinarello dogma 60.1 and full sky kit that i ride out in....(joke!)

Having spent 30 odd years living in south Notts I think it's just a cultural thing. There simply doesn't seem to be a cycling culture round those parts. I see more cyclists up here on one ride than I ever used to in many months around Notts.

Not to say there aren't ignorant cyclists around here mind. Drivers are MUCH worse also.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Pah ignore the bike snobs - just do whatever u think is right. I smile, raise my hand, shout a greeting, nod head etc etc - Half the time I get ignored, but sometimes I get a nod, a shout back etc etc. Ignorant people exist in all walks of life they dont become less ignorant just cause they get on a bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Just because they're on the bike doesn't mean they're like minded people.

Observe the various heated conversations on the forum, especially cake stop.

Plenty of people seem to have some chip on their shoulder regarding their inferior kit - whenever someone fails to return a greeting from a stranger on the bike the guys on here immediately assume it's some form of kit snobbery.

It's probably just they don't wave to random people they pass on the road!
  • richardfj
    Yep i doubt it's snobbery as often you don't get much of a chance to check out all the gear and that it's the right stuff etc, it's most likely ignorance which is a shame...

...i do get a lot of fillies on their horses saying hello though so that does tend to compensate, they seem a cheery bunch..perhaps i should get a gee gee instead?!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Get a mountain bike, apart from the roadies pretending to be MTBer's I haven't met anyone who doesn't say hi back :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I reckon its concentration more than ignorance. Maybe try shouting louder to them next time.
    I like white bikes
  • showtime*
    showtime* Posts: 88
    I don't get it and put it down to rudeness unless you can see someones really having a go and waving at someone going the other way is the last thing on their minds. I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere yesterday and hadn't seen a soul for about 30mins when I came across a group coming the other way so thought I'd give them a nod and say hi and they all blanked me! what's that all about??
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    Try breathing, pedalling, waving and observing the road. I can't do them all and if I don't wave I apologise :)
    A biking runner :)
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    Joey? :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    *whispers* maybe they don't want to be seen to be 'friendly' with you */whispers*
  • Seanos wrote:
    Joey? :roll:

Why does the film never get repeated on C4?

Back to topic, if you want to acknowledge other cyclists, then comntinue to do so. Outside of urban areas I acknowledge all other cyclists. If I don't get a reply then no worries, there could be many reasons why. Don't let it inhibit your own willingness to be friendly.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Please explain exactly why I should wave to a complete strarnger?

I rarely do and I'm certainly not snobbish in my ADLI and non-carbonFibre gear :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I wave at fellow cyclists because I want to - I love cycling and I hope they do too. If they choose to reply I am delighted! If they do not, that is their choice.
    I still love cycling and will continue to wave at other cyclists - that is my choice: I demand it!
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    thel33ter wrote:
    Get a mountain bike, apart from the roadies pretending to be MTBer's I haven't met anyone who doesn't say hi back :lol:
    I doubt even Jordan is that desperate to be noticed.
  • Funny that. Me and a mate are new to cycling in the flatlands of the North Cambs fens and are constantly amazed at what a set of miserable tissers they are around here. We are all involved in the same sport/hobby ffs.............
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • rick_chasey
    Funny that. Me and a mate are new to cycling in the flatlands of the North Cambs fens and are constantly amazed at what a set of miserable tissers they are around here. We are all involved in the same sport/hobby ffs.............
    I still train there. Where abouts and what do you ride?

If you want to ride with people who want to be social on the bike, go ride with a club. Some people don't ride to make friends or meet anyone. Hence them riding on their own.

Anyway, you must know most village yokels round there are hardly normal. There's a reason they have webbed feet...
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I usually nod, or say hello to other cyclists, but not always. Sometimes they return the greeting, sometimes they don't. Either way, I'm not ar$ed. When I've got nothing else to worry about I'l starting analysing whether it's me, my bike, the way I greet people, the location, or whatever else. For now I really don't see the point in getting twisted about it.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Funny that. Me and a mate are new to cycling in the flatlands of the North Cambs fens and are constantly amazed at what a set of miserable tissers they are around here. We are all involved in the same sport/hobby ffs.............
    I still train there. Where abouts and what do you ride?

If you want to ride with people who want to be social on the bike, go ride with a club. Some people don't ride to make friends or meet anyone. Hence them riding on their own.

Anyway, you must know most village yokels round there are hardly normal. There's a reason they have webbed feet...

LOL....!!
    Got a Cube Acid, mate. Good enough for the hills around here...... Ramsey area and the odd trip further afield.
    I appreciate what you are saying, but a smile and a Hi cost nowt. The conclusion we have reached is that they've decided we are witches and are riding the devils horses......
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    there seems to me to be quite large differences in peoples attitudes and outlook in different parts of the country. you seem to be something big time if youve got a hatchback and can spin the wheels in south lincs. dont see many cyclists around, theyre all to busy trying to blow their engines up i think.
  • rake wrote:
    there seems to me to be quite large differences in peoples attitudes and outlook in different parts of the country. you seem to be something big time if youve got a hatchback and can spin the wheels in south lincs. dont see many cyclists around, theyre all to busy trying to blow their engines up i think.

Same here. I'm from near York and up there it was much different. Much more sociable!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i noticed how many cyclists are in york when i visited the railway museum. i couldnt believe it was free to get in. looks far better for cycling.
  • Never really had a problem with this.

A brief acknowledgement and a smile invariably promotes a simlar response, not just from cyclists (road/MTB/tandem, whatever) but also walkers and horse riders. Perhaps the only exception would be teenage BMX riders but then, remembering my teenage son, communication (!) was never strong.

Maybe it is down to locale - here in North Hampshire lanes where I do most of my cycling, passing polite pleasantries doesn't seem to be an issue.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Never really had a problem with this.

A brief acknowledgement and a smile invariably promotes a simlar response, not just from cyclists (road/MTB/tandem, whatever) but also walkers and horse riders. Perhaps the only exception would be teenage BMX riders but then, remembering my teenage son, communication (!) was never strong.

Maybe it is down to locale - here in North Hampshire lanes where I do most of my cycling, passing polite pleasantries doesn't seem to be an issue.

Im sure you are right, there.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    masterchef wrote:
    ahh lincolnshire is quiet a hilly place so if ur always riding up ir down hills, i would think they are concentrating on the road other than saying hello( il ride upto lincoln tomorrow and wave to ya so ya dont feel left out;) lmao..) if not they are just ignorant buggers!

Lincolnshire, hilly? :lol: I lived in Lincoln for about 17 years on and off so I think you must be mixing Lincolnshire up with somewhere else? Lincoln is very hilly, the area around the Castle, but the county as a whole is noted for being one of the flattest in the country!
    Lincolnshire has the nickname 'Little Holland' for good reason 8)
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    dodgy wrote:
    Lincolnshire, hilly? I lived in Lincoln for about 17 years on and off so I think you must be mixing Lincolnshire up with somewhere else? Lincoln is very hilly, the area around the Castle, but the county as a whole is noted for being one of the flattest in the country!
    Lincolnshire has the nickname 'Little Holland' for good reason

Some inverse hills though:
    The lowest point in Lincolnshire - and the overall title of lowest point in the East Midlands - is shared by several farms under the 0-metre contour line.

In total, the Ordnance Survey says there is about 10 sq km just below sea level, including Glebe Farm, Engine Farm and Round Decoy Farm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3827507.stm

It continues:
    The highest point in Lincolnshire is marked by a trig pillar 168m (551 feet) above sea level.

Oxygen mask territory!
  • i noticed how many cyclists are in york when i visited the railway museum.

I am a cyclist in York and the city is actually pretty big on cycling. Back on topic, whenever I'm out training and I pass people they always seem to be pleasant and raise a hand or at least nod. Maybe people in Yorkshire are just nicer :P
    Specialized Allez 24
    FCN ride: 3
    FCN commute: 7
  • i noticed how many cyclists are in york when i visited the railway museum.

I am a cyclist in York and the city is actually pretty big on cycling. Back on topic, whenever I'm out training and I pass people they always seem to be pleasant and raise a hand or at least nod. Maybe people in Yorkshire are just nicer :P

Especially the Tadcaster area............... 8)