theres no going back now....

biff55
biff55 Posts: 1,404
edited July 2010 in The Crudcatcher
.......i'm going global :D
house sold last week and round the world ticket booked ( on my own )
taking in 3 months across USA by train , then Hawaii ,N.Z. , Bali , Singapore , Sri Lanka and France.
Feel very excited yet apprehensive in equal measure.
in fact arse twitching as the enormity sinks in :lol:

was certain from the start to take my bike with me for the tour of USA but now not so sure...
will have opportunity to ride in some amazing places yet there'll be be an awful lot of lugging bike ( in bag ) around when travelling.
could rent as required i suppose but it won't be the same as bombing along on your bike will it ?
hmmm , gonna think on this for a while , dont go till start of oct.
what does the forum think ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rent/beg/borrow as needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wish I was in your shoes! Take it you're going alone?

I may have thought about taking a bike for the first stage of the trip but with the intention of selling it an say SF/LA for a bit of cash for the remainder of your trek.
  • Bike = Transport. Sorted :D
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    How are you getting about? would the bike be your only mode of transport or are you planning on getting cars and stuff as well? (when we used to go work the bars in Spain in summer, we'd buy a car when we got there and sell it before leaving)
  • biff55
    Wish I was in your shoes! Take it you're going alone?

I may have thought about taking a bike for the first stage of the trip but with the intention of selling it an say SF/LA for a bit of cash for the remainder of your trek.

was going to ship it back to mums in the UK once i reached my final location in the USA ( San Fran )
    not wanting to boast but cost isn't an issue , and i'm up for a challenge but could be a slog to far.
    however you only live once :wink:
  • biff55
    How are you getting about? would the bike be your only mode of transport or are you planning on getting cars and stuff as well? (when we used to go work the bars in Spain in summer, we'd buy a car when we got there and sell it before leaving)

rail pass for amtrak train network.

too expensive to fly city to city , and i wouldn't want to anyway.
    and no way of driving those distances without a co-driver.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    biff55 wrote:
    not wanting to boast but cost isn't an issue

in that case rent bikes as you need them and then you can have the right bike for where you are.

instead of having the same bike that, although is yours will be a compromise for many places you could visit.

try as many different bikes/styles as you can and have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • biff55
    nicklouse wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    not wanting to boast but cost isn't an issue

in that case rent bikes as you need them and then you can have the right bike for where you are.

instead of having the same bike that, although is yours will be a compromise for many places you could visit.

try as many different bikes/styles as you can and have fun.

thanks for the reasoned advice.
    sometimes you just need to hear stuff from others.
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    What a great choice of destinations. Such variety. I'd love to go back to Sri Lanka. I used to go there in the 70s and it was one of the friendliest and most exotic (and poorest) countries in the world. A strange mixture of Buddhism and Catholicism.

I don't suppose there are many tourists nowadays after the civil war and tsunami so I'm sure you'll be well looked after.

Lots of pics on your return!
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10