What mtb hardtrail for heavy rider

essex_stu
essex_stu Posts: 93
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone, I have been reading the forums as a guest for a few weeks now and have signed up in the hope of getting some helpful advice from everyone.
I have a dilema in which I have £800 to spend on a hardtail mtb for 50% road use and 50% xc through woods with very little jumps and a few ruts etc. The problem is im close on 19 stone. Im been doing alot of bike work in the gym and have lost 2 stone but would rather do the work outdoors in the fresh air. The problem is most xc bikes I really like (boardman comp/kts alite 3000) are designed for 11 stone riders. Are there any good bikes out there(expect the Kona Hoss) for a larger gentleman. I also love lairy colours so that is a big bonus for me.

Failing that would building my own bike be an option. I love the On One 456 frame in lime(currently sold out) but would a frame like this hold my weight. If so what hubs,wheels,forks etc would be compatiable for my weight and this frame. I have a budget of around a £1000 for a self build.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated and please remember everyone I am nearly 19st so dont need bits that are going to break under my load in 5 minutes. Thank you everyone and please feel free to fire away

I have been on clydesdale forum but I really dont like the Kona Hoss btw

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Most decent frames be it alloy or steel will be fine. You may need to keep an eye on cheaper wheels and upgrade them if needs be but you don't need to look for anything special. Just keep away from ultra lightweight bikes.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I have a GT Avalanche 1.0 that has done all you want and more. At our weight you will find the standard forks not up to the job so upgrade them to air forks. Reba's would be ideal for what you want to do or Revelations for a bit more travel at the expense of slacker steering.
    This will still leave you with money in your budget to upgrade parts as they wear which will be the drivetrain first due to the increased stress.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Just selling a Norco Bigfoot to the wifes friends kids.

Was/is a nice frame, but it's the 2005, but was lighter than the current one.

Very good aggressive XC/Trail frame. Strongly recommend it or similar style.
  • crazysheep
    crazysheep Posts: 18
    I am also 19 stone and ride with another tall lad who may be a couple of stone lighter. We have never had issues with components or frames or even wheels and our bikes are ridden in the Lake District both open fell and Whinlatter. I would not be concerned about the strength of parts, they are mountain bikes after all. By the way I have both a Giant hardtail and full susser.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hi Stu, for your kind of riding any make should be ok if you not doing drops and jumps....I am 16.5 stone and ride a Giant XTC which is half carbon with no problems...
    Something like these would be ideal
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p2290
    http://www.freeflowbikes.com/mondraker- ... 6131-p.asp

Obviously you can get the more burly bikes like the Orange Crush etc...but these are generally longer travel so require more peddling effort and are more akin to trail centres..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • As above, if it's just road and light XC (as you describe), most bikes are going to be fine. They're all built to be pretty tough, whatever the weight.

The on-one should be about as tough as they get within your budget, but it's optimised for a long travel fork (140mm), for a bit more than light XC. Just depends what you want at the end of the day.

Plenty of other great bikes out there though and you can pretty much take your pick for 1k.
  • essex_stu
    Really great advice so far everyone so thanks alot. I really like the KTS alite 3000 but im guessing this would be a little to lightweight for me and they seem out of stock. Are the On One 456 frames any good as I really like the lime green colour for some crazy reason.How much would a decent spec with this frame cost.
    Im just gauging opinions at the moment so keep them coming everyone
  • The 456 is a bit marmite. If something can be a 'bit' marmite.

They have a huge following. Many people swear by them. You'll often see second hand frames going for near as much as the new ones, which should tell you a lot.

Then there are others who don't see what others see in them. Reports that the welds are untidy and paint finish less than professional. But I don't think I've ever heard a report of one breaking. And the majority of people, regardless of what camp they sit in, will admit that it's a cracking value for money frame and will stand up to a lot of bigger names. I guess the argument with many, is that it's not the standard of a £500 frame, when a lot of people make it out to be. But why should it be? It's a shade over £150.

Have a look at the Ragley Frames too. The steel Blue pig, and the alu MmmBop (near 2lbs lighter, but still heavy duty, similar to the 456), both at around the £200 mark.

1k will get you a good spec too.
  • essex_stu
    Thats some good advice Butcher,thanks. What sort of fork would be suitable to this frame. I guessing I would have to go for an air fork over a coil fork. Also what are good strong wheels and hubs. Thanks once again
  • essex_stu
    If anyone has any spare time on their hands could they please post up a build spec I should be looking at and please keep suggesting bikes as well
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    These are both worth a shout...great specs and under budget as you get an extra 10% off if purchased on line
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... l_2465.htm

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 4-BIKE.htm

Supplied and built by Merlin who have a great reputation on the MTB scene
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    im just under 18 stones at the moment and not long ago had a ragley mmmbop fitted with lyriks. the bike felt solid yet it was light for what it was, also did everything well
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • essex_stu wrote:
    If anyone has any spare time on their hands could they please post up a build spec I should be looking at and please keep suggesting bikes as well

Have a wander into the your mountain bikes section. There should be loads of 456 builds in there, complete with full spec list and cost, including images. That should give you a good idea but it all depends on you and your wallet at the end of the day.

As above, there's loads of other bikes out there too, don't discount them, but if you think you'll take a load of satisfaction from your own build, go for it.
  • essex_stu
    Thank you everyone for the grat advice. Ive decided I am going to have a go at building my own bike. I just need help on deciding on the forks, wheels/hubs and handlebars, everything else I have decided on. The budget for each is below :

forks- 200
    Wheels-150
    Bars-100

Could anyone suggest all of the above that would be fine under my weight(especially the wheels) and suitable for a 456 frame. Thanks
  • pastey_boy
    spend £20 on the bars and put the savings into the forks
    rrp £69
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBFSGL25/fs ... -handlebar
    rrp £230
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... a21287c4cb
    rrp £399
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40915
    £460 all in if you chose the recon with maxle axle
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    just found these at a very silly price
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kona_ ... 0958/#more
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • essex_stu
    Those wheels are perfect. Thanks for that
  • essex_stu
    Final question then I should be sorted. With the forks do I need air forks or spring coil types. Thanks
  • I believe you can get heavy duty springs better suited to the heavier rider, but don't quote me on that.

Put the money into forks, wheels, drivetrain. Stuff like handlebars, the cheap ones weigh next to nothing anyway. You can spend a lot of money on minimal weight savings. Whereas Forks, Wheels, etc, can make big improvements.

I've seen a few threads in the past about wheels for heavier guys in the past so a search might yeald some results. Once you have a good idea what you're looking for though, you might get a better response with threads for individual components. Once you have the forks and wheels sorted, everything else is fairly standard stuff.
  • pastey_boy
    coils are great and more reliable but i had a pair of coil lyriks with the strongest spring available. at the time i was 16 and a half sones and found the spring just about on the limit for me. for your 19 stones i would go for air forks as you can set them for your weight. im just under 18 stones at the moment and im using some fox air forks with no problems. marzocchi forks will probably be the best bet as their coil forks can be topped up with air to suit your weight
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    go for air forks i rang tf tuned for a friend who is 23 stone and asked what the strongest spring was and they said max is 17 stone so best to spend a little extra on forks and have the air setting to play with.

A friend of mine recently got a ragley blue pig and its a very smart frame for the money and looks strong enough the paint and welds look smart aswell.
  • Im 21.5 stone, down from 24 stone and am just upgrading my Kona Hoss (2008 model).
    Am still running the original sunringle black eyed rims, but the Marzocchi Bomber DJ2's have been fully rigid for the past 18 months!
    I can no longer bear the post ride neck-ache and have just ordered a pair of RockShox Pike 454 U-turn Coils as ive been told by half a dozen bike shops that these would be ideal for me!

Will keep you updated.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    They lied. The forks are strong but the spring will be too soft even with a firm one installed. You should gave gone air instead.
  • Oh great!

I got them special offer so doubt I can get a refund now! I was informed that I was too heavy for air forks as i would be over the scale!

To be honest though- as long as they work it will be money well-spent- there can't be too many (poor) 20+ stoners out there riding rigid forks on proper trails!
  • pastey_boy
    they will bottom out like crazy. if you bought them new from a shop you can get a refund
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti