Anyone heard of Fausto Coppi Gotti road bike?

Paul_iow
Paul_iow Posts: 110
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Has anyone heard of/or got/had a Fausto Coppi Gotti road bike? Any opinions of it?

Thanks

Comments

• PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    That all depends are you the bloke selling it, or looking to buy it.

As a google search of the bike brings up this thread and surprise surprise one for sale on the iow!.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That one for sale on the IoW looks like it's worth about 100-120 quid.

Generic Aluminium frame and very outdated components.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW RSX components were replaced by Sora/Tiagra about 2001 - so that dates the bike to at least 9 years old and like NapD says it's overpriced. £800 in 2001 bears no relation to what it buys today - a new aluminium framed- bike with similar spec parts is only about £400 - given the age and condition, it's worth less than half that.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    something smells a bit fishy and its not my feet!
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • Paul_iow
    Why all so cynical? I was looking at getting it as a cheap upgrade from my very, very old current bike, and it happens to only be 10 mins down the road, but as already stated google throws up nothing, so wondered if anyone knew anything about it.

louthepoo - it looks like you have fishy feet :lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    We're not being cynical, we're just answering your question about the bike - the fact that the description isn't entirely accurate would concern me - it may be an honest mistake or an attempt to inflate the value. It's your money and your choice.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    In the ad, the seller states:

"Fausto Coppi - Gotti. 59cm from centre of BB to seat post. Stiff Alloy Frame. I am 5'9 and fits great"

Now, height isn't the only factor in determining bike size but a 59cm frame for someone 5'9" is a bit suspect - and there is around 3" or more seatpost exposed - that would not "fit great".

Lack of honesty would be enough to give it a body swerve.
  • Paul_iow
    Thanks for the replies. I thought this may have been a cheap bike but it appears the seller wants more than its worth and I can't find any details about the bike, which is always a bad sign. That and the sizing issue, I am 5'10 but have short legs, is telling me to avoid. The money saved will go in the pot for a new, nicer bike!
  • There's no way that's a 59cm frame. Head tube far too short. 54cm (or maybe even 51cm) more likely.

Seller has relisted it at £250.

I have a Fausto Coppi San Remo (2003) 56cm, with 105 throughout, apart from chainset which is a Shimano FC-R700 compact. Fizik Arione saddle. I wouldn't really expect much more than £250 for that.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    There's no way that's a 59cm frame. Head tube far too short. 54cm (or maybe even 51cm) more likely.

Seller has relisted it at £250.

Ah but...the (rather large) downtube meets the head tube a bit further up than normal and, if you compare the length of seat tube with the rim diameter, it looks about right.

Size apart, I note that the comment about the seller's height has disappeared from the relisted ad.

Is the seller in our midst?. Even the OP?
  • Paul_iow
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Is the seller in our midst?. Even the OP?

Its nothing to do with me, I just live nearby and was looking at the bike, but knowing no details I asked on here