C-Y-B The Beast

newclearbomb
newclearbomb Posts: 87
edited August 2010 in Routes
Rode the BEAST yesterday after being reccomended by Yeehaa !

All i can say is that it definately lives up to its name :shock:

I,m pretty sore this morning, thighs are stinging after the fire road climb from hell !
But you gotta go up to come down so i,m not moaning, especially after the sweet singletrack techy off camber runs across the hills after the long climb !

I cant remember all the names but Bugsy was sweet, fast swoopy singletrack !
False Teeth ! :shock: theres two drops in there with cobbled landings, i,m not sure if they can be rolled but they are big when hit flat out ? i didnt take much notice of the red warning triangle and popped off it dropping quite a way down then the second one i thought looked like the first until i popped off that and landed in a puddle at the bottom ! i managed to hang on "Just" then proceeded with a bit more caution !

All the down bits are excellent ! especially the Adams Family Bits !

I think its the best place i have ever ridden a bike 8)

I will be returning to do it again and ill be doing the MBR & Dragons Back as well !

Oh to top it all i saw Rach Atherton about a third of the way in ! that made my day !
Especially as i was sat mending a Puncture !

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yeh we caught rachel when in Llandeglla last year, Mate bailed like a noob right in front of here, but followed her down a bit, a very pretty and toned lady that, and a wee bit quick.. Quality lass.

And yeh The longer trails at Coed are awsome, personally i like the dragons back, its pretty much the beast but losing a few bits, nice length for an every day ride.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    She wasn't in Champery? What gives?
  • Anonymous
    Oh, and it sounds like I'll have to revisit Coedy - there were no drops on False teeth last time I was there - but I've heard they've been doing a lot of work to (almost) all the trails
  • Anonymous
    Ah, apparently, she's taking a short time off from DH racing to make sure her shoulder is properly mended for the world championships.
  • I did the Beast on Friday, there's quite few bits that have been altered since I last did it, it seems a bit rougher but some of the drops are pretty big now. Definitely the best overall trail I've done.
    I also did the Tarw trail on the same day, the single track bits of that trail are probably even better, there's just not enough of it and far too much fire road. 'Flightpath' is phenomenal, and can be made into a short loop without doing the whole Tarw trail. Check it out next time you go.
  • Doh !

I,m sure it was false teeth cos i remembered thinking about loosing my top set on the bars when i landed as i rocketed off the ledge !

Most other infact all other riders were doing the Dragons Back, i,ve got to admit that some of the guys there looked pretty quick ! and some of the girls too

Twas def Rach Atherton, Straddling a Commencal whilst rolling her shoulders backwards & forwards, she fractured her other shoulder in leogang :cry: her trainer was on a red Giant

Maybe some one will know where the Drops are ? they looked well made to be honest, like a slab on the take off then slabbed cobbles on the down slope into a bomb hole then up and out, first ones smaller than the second ! that much i do know
  • Mancunianfightingcat

i agree with the rough terrain ! not like any trail centre i have ever ridden before ?

Some pretty large square edged rocks, roots and some nice drops !
    Not smooth & groomed like a traditional centre.

Yes some pretty long climbs but my god the downs make up for that !
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    :shock: ... I am packing my bags and racing towards CYB!
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    popstar wrote:
    :shock: ... I am packing my bags and racing towards CYB!
    I'm sure you'll love it. It's the original trail centre, and still holds it own against the very best.
    What it lacks compared to more modern places like Llandegla or Glentres is big manicured jumps, berms and dropoffs, but I don't really mind, because Coedy is, well... Coedy.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I love CyB.

Well worth the drive from Shrewsbury.

Downhills are fun and I enjoy the climbing once I get my heart rate pumping a bit although the fire road just keeps going and going and going lol :shock:

On a sunny day, I love the drive there, the whole day and the drive home. Scenery is absolutely fantastic once 10 miles the other side of Welshpool :D
  • Anonymous
    -Liam- wrote:
    I love CyB.

Downhills are fun and I enjoy the climbing once I get my heart rate pumping a bit although the fire road just keeps going and going and going lol :shock:

On a sunny day, I love the drive there, the whole day and the drive home. Scenery is absolutely fantastic once 10 miles the other side of Welshpool :D
    You know.... I'm a big monster of a bloke, big hairy fugger. Foul mouthed and bad tempered. But when I was driving home from a week working in Port Talbot once, the song my sig comes from (Cwmorthin by Mim Twm Llai) came on the CD player, just as I could see the Dolgellau/Blaenau area mountains come into view, with amazing rays of sunshine breaking through the cloud and shining down illuminating the land like a dreamscape.
    It was so beautiful to see "home" after a week I actually cried a little bit. :oops:
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    -Liam- wrote:
    I love CyB.

You know.... I'm a big monster of a bloke, big hairy fugger. Foul mouthed and bad tempered. But when I was driving home from a week working in Port Talbot once, the song my sig comes from (Cwmorthin by Mim Twm Llai) came on the CD player, just as I could see the Dolgellau/Blaenau area mountains come into view, with amazing rays of sunshine breaking through the cloud and shining down illuminating the land like a dreamscape.
    It was so beautiful to see "home" after a week I actually cried a little bit. :oops:

I know exactly where you mean. April/May time there was still snow on the peaks.

Took the Missus and kids to Barmouth for the for the weekend when we had that scorcher a while back, driving through Dinas Mayddwy and I was like - Look at that isnt it fantasic!!...but they just didnt get it....I was gutted :(

I'm not a welshman but I was brought up in Colwyn Bay/Conway and I love the whole area. Fantastic part of the world.
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    Abit offtopic but for places such as these what bikes would you suggest for a newcomer/newbie, would love to try such things but im pretty sure my old lefty wouldnt cope lol

i was looking at the entry level spesh stumpjumper fsr or the spicy/zesty214
    or would tracks with designed drops and jumps need something abit more sturdier :s
  • Anonymous
    Lefty would be fine for Coedy. It hasn't changed very much over the years, and we used to ride it on rigids.
    It's definitely more fun, and faster with suspension, but any tough bike(+rider!) will be able to handle it.
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    Okay cheers, i guess i just need to find the tough rider now then :s
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I always feel over-biked when I go to any trail centre on my Enduro.I'm building a HT for winter and trail centre riding.There are bits on most TCs that are easier on a FS but in general a HT will suffice for 90% of the time.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    I always feel over-biked when I go to any trail centre on my Enduro.I'm building a HT for winter and trail centre riding.There are bits on most TCs that are easier on a FS but in general a HT will suffice for 90% of the time.

I,m glad i was over biked the other day when i dropped into that Bomb Hole @ CYB !

A hard tail would have been no good for me there, i think i,d have come up short on the last section over those rock garden bits as well,

ibbo, i dont want to sound condesending but i,m guessing you have ridden CYB lately !
  • sniper68
    I rode it last year.IMO it's easier now than the original C-Y-B of a few years back.
    I'm just generalising...trail centres are designed to be ridden and I'm no DH god or anything,far from it,but compared to the natural stuff I generally ride trail centres are smooth and flowy and more suited to a HT.Like I said there's the odd section at most trail centres that a FS would cope with better but why take a FS for 10% of a ride?There is nothing at C-Y-B that you can't do on a HT.
    A mate of mine rides the Marin and Penmachno on a rigid 29er.
  • ibbo,
    Just looked at the pic of ur Enduro, I would have felt overbiked on triple clamp forks for a trail centre, so in youre case a hard tail would have been quicker, a lot of the singletrack stuff is fast flowing but some of it is too twisty for the limited steering of Huge forks with steering limits.

Ive not been to C-Y-B before so i wasnt sure what it would be like, i was expecting somewhere in the region of Dalby, Glentress and Inners !

What i actually experienced was something completely different !

My next trip i,m going to ride from the Hub thro the start sections onto the fire road and up to the begining of the end bit ! session that a couple of times and fuel up before doing the beast again !

I,m in the process of building up a 6 incher for hacking round the tracks and trails, i dont have the luxury of having 2 or 3 bikes so one bike fits all for my needs.

As for hard tails and 29ers, i dont disagree that they are more than capable at trail centres but for 90% of a ride ? not me thanks ! i'll stick to full suspension !
  • sniper68
    ibbo,
    Just looked at the pic of ur Enduro, I would have felt overbiked on triple clamp forks for a trail centre, so in youre case a hard tail would have been quicker, a lot of the singletrack stuff is fast flowing but some of it is too twisty for the limited steering of Huge forks with steering limits.
    They're actually double-clamp :wink: with no turning limits and only 150mm of travel so exactly the same as a Fox36 or Lyriks not huge beasts like Boxxers etc.The bike is a 30lb trail bike not a 38lb DH rig :wink: They're actually lighter than most 150mm single-crown forks as well :D
    I don't feel over biked just because of my bike,I felt the same on my old FS,which had standard single crown forks.
    If I could only have one bike it would be a FS,but they're still overkill most of the time.
  • Oh ok ! The angle of the picture makes the forks appear bigger than they actually are ?

in my experience the stanchions thwacking the steerer or the rubber bush stopping on the steerer tube has always limited the turn on such forks when fitted to my bike's
    I,m not sure how those ones work and overcome this problem ? as mine were limited a fair ammount which became more apparent whilst trying to ride North Shore @ Chicksands :oops: And twisty switchback single track !

We will have to agree to disagree on the Full Suss V Hard Tail Debate,
    Ive been converted for over a decade now !
  • Anonymous
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Sounds like you need to ride faster then, and get the most from the Enduro, and quit mincing around :lol:
  • Anonymous
    ibbo68 wrote:
    They're actually double-clamp :wink: with no turning limits and only 150mm of travel so exactly the same as a Fox36 or Lyriks not huge beasts like Boxxers etc.The bike is a 30lb trail bike not a 38lb DH rig :wink: They're actually lighter than most 150mm single-crown forks as well :D
    No, they're triple clamps.
    Twin crown = triple clamp. (although the name is a misnomer, cause they are effectively quad clamps)
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    Twin crown = triple clamp. (although the name is a misnomer, cause they are effectively quad clamps)

Phew ! I thought it was me that stupid !

150mm exactly the same as 36's ? My 36's have 160mm ?
    How can they be lighter than most single crown forks ? How much do they weigh ?
  • Anonymous
    They might be lighter than 36s (and have shorter travel), but they serve a different purpose.
    The idea behind speccy's triple clampers is to make them as stiff as possible for as little material as they can use, therefore making them lighter.
    36s, however, are a pretty bad-ass piece of kit, made to take extreme impacts.
  • sniper68
    According to Specialized they're double-clamp.
    I used the Foxs/Lyriks as an example as they're closer travel wise to those forks than they are to Boxxers etc.
    150mm exactly the same as 36's ? My 36's have 160mm ?
    How can they be lighter than most single crown forks ? How much do they weigh ?
    They weigh in at 4.2lbs.I weighed them before I sent them to TFTuned just out of curiosity.For a double/triple :wink: clamp for they're very light
  • The forks are Double Crown: One below the steerer and one above the steerer.

The forks are Triple Clamp: One each side of the steerer and one up the steerer.

Clamped together by the crown and positioned by the steerer.

Great for what they are intended for, DH racing where their main use keeps the bars pointing in the right direction after a stack, saving the cables getting crossed up, of course they slacken the head angle being that much taller and give the correct geometry for pointing down a hill, they also soak up the bumps and track the lines which is a massive advantage but seconds lost getting back on a bike after a tumble and spinning the bars to unravel possible ripped out brake hoses looses races.

I might be wrong Tho I have been once before ! :?
  • sniper68
    I can see no difference between mine and triple-clamp but Spesh call them Double clamp for some reason.
    They actually clamp in 5 places.1 on the steerer,2 on the top crown and 2 on the bottom crown :wink:
    The head angle is exactly the same on the 09 bike which used a single-crown fork :?
    They are crap for climbing on full travel but OK when shortened to 115mm 8)
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    I can see no difference between mine and triple-clamp but Spesh call them Double clamp for some reason.
    They actually clamp in 5 places.1 on the steerer,2 on the top crown and 2 on the bottom crown :wink:
    The head angle is exactly the same on the 09 bike which used a single-crown fork :?

There is no difference because they are Triples !
    They could clamp in a 115 different places there are still 3 tubes !
    of course they are crap for climbing !

Back to my original post !

Has any one rode C-Y-B lately as ive checked on You Tube and theres no sign of a sweet long fast drop any where !

I,m positive it was that section can somebody please confirm or Deny ?
    Otherwise Yeehaa is gonna have to don the helmet an peddle off into the sunset !

:shock:
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    ibbo68 wrote:

There is no difference because they are Triples !
    They could clamp in a 115 different places there are still 3 tubes !
    of course they are crap for climbing !

Back to my original post !

Has any one rode C-Y-B lately as ive checked on You Tube and theres no sign of a sweet long fast drop any where !

I,m positive it was that section can somebody please confirm or Deny ?
    Otherwise Yeehaa is gonna have to don the helmet an peddle off into the sunset !

:shock:

Yes you're right, it's a monster of a drop off that comes up totally unexpectedly. You start the Falseteeth section, do 3 small steps then the only warning you have is a post with a small skull and xbones on the right of the trail ! We did it about a month ago. One of our posse got it totally wrong, being caught out and face planted, breaking a cheekbone in 4 places and an eye socket, so don't get caught out, it hurts!! :?