talk to me about bottom brackets.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
the one on the gt needs to be replaced and i am faced wth a few options, replace just the BB and keep my cranks, replace both cranks and bb with a shimano deore type affair.

the current bb is an isis unit, are they any good, they can be had for very little moneys so its the cheapest way to go but im sure i heard it said that isis is rubbish :?

i could posibly buy a deore external setup as i can get it all for about 60 quid which seems a bit of a bargain.

any other suggestions?

Comments

• isis is crap.... basically.

HTH :)
  • i'll expand... the isis bb got on my tits so much that I replaced it with a shimano HT2 crankset and BB within 2 days of buying the a new Isis BB!
  • Anonymous
    this is fair enough but what specifically is bad about isis?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tiny tiny bearings mainly. Superstar sell one with proper manly bearings though which apparently is very very good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • how the cranks are held on.
    Its really hard to get the bolts to stay tight, even when using loctite... as soon as they get a bit of movement, the crank are wobbles and wears. You're then forever tightening the damn thing!

HT2 is just so much more user friendly!
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    Tiny tiny bearings mainly. Superstar sell one with proper manly bearings though which apparently is very very good.

i have seen that, i might give it a go. the cranks are a bit scuffed but they are in decent enough nick, there is just some play in the BB, seems a shame to get rid of serviceable cranks for the sakes of a bb but i didnt know if isis is problematic, i have since read about the issue being tiny bearings.

cheers for the helps fellas, im gonna give the super dooper star one a go.
  • you sure its play in the bb and not the crank arms?
  • Anonymous
    you sure its play in the bb and not the crank arms?

yup.you can feel it in the bb spindle.
  • fair doos... I thought my my old ISIS crank arms started to wobble and i thought it was the bb lol!

make sure you do it up TIIIIIGGHHHTTT!
  • Anonymous
    i'll do it with my torque wrench, :wink:
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    nothing wrong with isis bb i've had a fsa DH pro for 11 years and still runing nice. Get a GOOD quality BB (mine cost £40)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Do they still make that one?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    how the cranks are held on.
    Its really hard to get the bolts to stay tight, even when using loctite... as soon as they get a bit of movement, the crank are wobbles and wears. You're then forever tightening the damn thing!

HT2 is just so much more user friendly!
    THIS
    Absolute pile of crap.

Shimano HTII setups are just awesome.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    yeah you can still get them