Bottom Bracket Specialized Tri Cross

Johnstorm
Johnstorm Posts: 6
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi

Wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I have a 2010 Specialized Tri Cross which I purchased in April. I have always had mountain bikes in the past.

Within a week of riding it I could feel a knocking in the bottom bracket, took it back to LBS they said they could find no problem.

Couple of weeks later the knocking felt worst went back, they road tested it and said it was that I was not used to the gears as they were different from my mountain bike????

After 100 miles I found there was movement in the bottom bracket, took it back, they said the bearing was U/S, and they replaced it.

Have now done another 100miles and the the bottom bracket has a significant amount of play in it again. Have taken it back to the LBS, and they are going to have another look at it.

I have never had this problem before, and wonder if there could be a problem with the thread in the frame, or are these bikes prone to this problem?

Any thoughts gratefully received

John

Comments

• cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    It is often the case with new bikes the manufacturers cut corners in the invisible components (like Bottom brackets, hubs etc...) because when you look at the spec you'll rarely pay attention to these items.

Is it a square taper BB? if so fit the old XT quality BB the Shimano BB-UN72 and you wont have another problem for years!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What have they been fitting?
    Had a Tricross which was reliable and serviceable but plug ugly heavy .. so no I would say that they are not prone to such issues.
    Did they give you back the part that was in their opinion knackered so that you could at least have a look yourself if it was so - easy to tell .
    As mentioned the Shimano square taper bb's are cheap as chips and easy to fit and should last for ever and a day.
    Thread scuppered?
    You didnt do it, so I would be knocking on that LBS door for an explanation.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    The website lists it as a 'BB-7420 w/crank bolts'

...it'll be a cheapo effort. I remember fitting a £10 cheap square taper BB to my bike several years back, lasted two months, and when I took it out about 50ml of water came out of it. False economy, buy a decent one, with good seals and it'll last 10,000 miles+
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The website lists it as a 'BB-7420 w/crank bolts'

...it'll be a cheapo effort. I remember fitting a £10 cheap square taper BB to my bike several years back, lasted two months, and when I took it out about 50ml of water came out of it. False economy, buy a decent one, with good seals and it'll last 10,000 miles+

Out of the cartridge itself?
    That is odd.
  • Johnstorm
    Johnstorm Posts: 6
    Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Have got the bike back and they have told me that the fault was that of the mechanic as he had failed to tighten both sides, so hopefully all is now well.

I will take your advice and get a better BB fitted as I do go away alot on the bike, and I do not want it failing somewhere in Europe.

Will have to get some miles under its belt locally now to make sure the problem is resolved

John