Wind

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Can anyone tell me if they remember a year being as bad as this for wind? the kind you find outside that is !!!

:D
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes.1987.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes.1987.

No - it was '88. Started at the end of 1987 though.

-Spider-
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    -spider- wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes.1987.

No - it was '88. Started at the end of 1987 though.

I'm talking about the Hurricane in October 87...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Worst year whilst I've being cycling, tbh, I like it now, without the wind you don't go any faster cause both ways you just smash into the air so it's like you've got a mini headwind BOTH ways and it sucks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I've been thinking the same. Especially on Thursdays which are club TT nights. That said last Thursday was really still and my time went backwards. Even when we had the hot weather in June it stayed quite breezy.
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes.1987.

I actually sailed to Ostend during that hurricane ! I was 17 & going on a footballing tour! we were the last ship let of the harbour.
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Haven't noticed it being any worse here in the fens :lol:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    not really noticed that much difference TBH. I'm fed up of living under constant cloud cover. cool, windy, rainy, whatever is fine. I'm just sick to bloody death of the monotone grey sky forever hanging 3 feet over my head, its like living in a distopian future film.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    For those who don't know the world ends in 2 years so this is just a pre-cursor! Start making ya boats :shock:
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    Its been a disasterous year for wind (lack of - I am primarily a windsurfer) - . In the SE - we usually get a nice wet SW wind in the spring - March through early May - none of that. Instead we get cold NE's coming in from Russia. Makes it colder - possibly drier though.

usually the prevailing winds come in as a regualr force 4-5 Beaufort for three to four days on end, this year very little of that.

Over the last two-three years we have found that when the fronts come through they come through quicker - and provide stronger winds but over a much shorter time. So it may seem windier because of this.

I am about 75% down with "on the water time" this year (force 4 plus)

co-incidently there was an article in the press at the weekend commenting on the lack of wind (from an energy produciton point of view)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's ALWAYS windy where I often cycle. It makes up for the flatness.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Always windy up here. Strong wind off the Vale of Mowbray towards the sea.

All. The. Effin. Time.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    not really noticed that much difference TBH. I'm fed up of living under constant cloud cover. cool, windy, rainy, whatever is fine. I'm just sick to bloody death of the monotone grey sky forever hanging 3 feet over my head, its like living in a distopian future film.

+1

I am so tired of the constant dull, windy days. I have to carry arm & knee warmers with me, on my rides. I want a warm, calm day!!!!
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I guess it's pretty regional - like Forward loop I'm down in the south-east and we've had a lot of dry northerly light winds and very little of the ''prevailing'' south-westerlies. It was almost unusual for this year to find that there's a strongish westerly breeze this afternoon.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Yeah it seems a little more breezy this year,i remember 87 well and i'm glad i was not on the bike that night,my ruby slippers didn't have cleats anyway.
  • kennatt
    kennatt Posts: 2
    I'm with forward loop,It's been the worst year I can remember for lack of wind,have only had about 10 good windsurfing sessions since jan,done a lot of miles on the bike,roll on the winter gales