Iliotibial Band?

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,544
On my last few rides I have noticed a pain at the rear of my right knee in the two tendons? that run down from the thigh to the calf when I push hard. It feels like these tendons are being overly stretched, even though there is still a good bend in my knee at the bottom of the downstroke, and seems to leave me riding toe down rather than 'round pedalling'. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Could it be related to cleat position as the saddle isn't too high and my bike position is set up as it has been for years. Or do I just need to do some stretching and try to improve flexibility in that area?

Comments

• mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Have a look at this: http://cyclingphysio.com/?p=85
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    The iliotibial band runs down the side of the leg. If you had ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome) then you'd feel pain at the side of the knee, specifically the outer side of the knee.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    Thanks. Get a bit of that but only on occassion. What are the two big tendons between the hamstring and calf then as that is what's causing the pain (and the very top of the calf itself). They feel like they are going to snap even though the knee is quite well bent, it only happens when pushing hard, gentle riding doesn't seem to cause any problem. :?
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    could be inflamation of the tendon, I get this if i'm off the bike for a week or more then start riding as hard as before. Taking it easy and ibubrofen sorted it. (Check with WADA etc before using any drug :wink: )
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Try rubbing your thumb down the side of your leg on your itb. if it hurts then its inflamed. I have a problem with mine stemming from my previous life as a runner an to this day I can barely touch it without wincing.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!