best pedals

DCowling
DCowling Posts: 769
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all

I have been slowly upping my mileage and am now at a level where I think I may benefit by switching from standard platform pedals.
Which is the best entry level set-up, straps, clip, clipless, as it seems a bit of a mine-field
I realise that with straps I should be able to use existing pedals and footwear, but hope that pedal shoe combo will go someway to relieve numbness / pressure in foot

Many Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Clips and straps really aren't as safe as clipless pedals. If you crash you don't want your feet to be strapped to the bike. I would suggest going for clipless pedals. Something like Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo should do the job. They're similar pedals so it's difficult to recommend one over the other. You will need shoes to go with them and I suggest buying from a local shop rather than on-line as sizing can be a bit tricky. Look for shoes with a three bolt fixing for both SPD-SL and Keo cleats.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    I would definitely consider clipless - they are nothing to be afraid of.

There are two basic types
    'MTB' (SPD)- which many road bikers also use. Generally easier to clip in /out and you can walk in the shoes as the cleat is recessed in the sole. So better for commuting/round town.
    Road (SPD-SL, keo etc) which are road specific - better for long distances but less practical as the cleat sticks down below the shoe so you can't easily walk in them.

Depends on your type of riding really..
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759

Shimano M520... I think im safe in saying that these are one of most highly reccomended starter clipless pedal due to the ease of clipping in and out, double sided so no kicking at your pedals for the right side, and cheap as buggery!!

I use these and although Im now looking at actual Road pedals, I would reccomend these to anyone deciding to upgrade from plats.

(ps, these pedals + cleats are often cheaper than a replacement set of cleats! Bargain!!)
    exercise.png
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    ian_s wrote:
    I would definitely consider clipless - they are nothing to be afraid of.

There are two basic types
    'MTB' (SPD)- which many road bikers also use. Generally easier to clip in /out and you can walk in the shoes as the cleat is recessed in the sole. So better for commuting/round town.
    Road (SPD-SL, keo etc) which are road specific - better for long distances but less practical as the cleat sticks down below the shoe so you can't easily walk in them.

Depends on your type of riding really..

I'd second this advice, but would recommend Crank Bros eggbeaters. My first clipless pedals, and they were very easy to get used to.

Still use 'em, still love 'em...
  • Twilheimer
    Twilheimer Posts: 189
    I have had both the MTB and SPD-SL's, they're both good, the low end shimano SPD SL's perform well, espeiclly if theyre you're first pedals. The MTB ones, M520's are ruggid! They're great for learning, because youl probably fall a few times and scratch them, but it doesnt matter because theyre bare metal mostly and hard as nails! Either one has my vote!

Also note if you have knee problems the shimano SPD SL's and MTB ones only have 6degs of float, where as LOOK pedals have around 15+degs. Float is the amount your foot can move around when clipped in.
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    I started with shimano and they are good.Cleats last a long time,but I found sometimes they were hard to get out off.They are also heavy,switched to look keo max and I will never go back.Much lighter easier to get out off,only drawback is the cleats they don't last as long as my shimano's.

You can get cleat covers,but they are hard to get.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I'm fitting a set of 520's this afternoon, my first venture in to clipless, after all the recommendations on here, looking forward to falling over when I go out later!
  • Twilheimer
    Twilheimer Posts: 189
    Good luck with it, remember to loosen off the little allen bolt on the back of the pedals until its easy to clip in and out of, I made the mistake of having them too tight, couldnt get out of them!
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    when i first started cycling i used straps until my foot got stuck and i couldn't remove it, falling off! I was initially concerned about clipless so bought some double sided pedals and loosened off the tensioner so it was easy to unclip my feet. I bought some lidl shoes incase i couldn't get on with them but its the best thing i've done, even ordered some specialized shoes mtb ones so i can walk in them too.
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    SPD's are great if you need to use shoes you can walk in - for road stuff I started with SPD-SL which are alovely pedals and well priced from shimano - however I changed to TIME a couple of years back and I doubt I will change again - love them!

I have the RSX carbons on my posh bike - they're a bit expensive but worth it - they do cheaper models tho.

in general, moving to clipless was one of the best things I did on the bike - they are so much better and more secure than regualr shoes - you will love them very quickly.
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 61
    At the risk of hi-jacking someone else's thread, does anyone have an opinion on THESE? (On offer at my LBS).

I did fancy the Look Keo pedals, but seeing as I'm in the same position as the OP I thought I'd ask - I want to be able to try the shoes on as I've never had any before. Is this a decent deal, or can I do better for cheaper?
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 61
    [Edit] Website price is £87.99 - I notice this doesn't show up on the page I linked to.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Another good thing about clipless is it confuses the hell out of scrotes who want to try and nick your bike!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sam_m wrote:
    At the risk of hi-jacking someone else's thread, does anyone have an opinion on THESE? (On offer at my LBS).

I did fancy the Look Keo pedals, but seeing as I'm in the same position as the OP I thought I'd ask - I want to be able to try the shoes on as I've never had any before. Is this a decent deal, or can I do better for cheaper?

it's not too bad a price but that style of pedal is reallyold now and was replaced sometime ago. the new style ones are a considerable improvement too - I've had both!
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    Bunneh wrote:
    Another good thing about clipless is it confuses the hell out of scrotes who want to try and nick your bike!
    my father in law has a LBS and one scrote tried to make off with one of his bikes, watching him trying to pedal away without any pedals attached to the bike was hilarious. He'd have been quicker jumping off and pushing! I've tried to ride my bike round the corner without my spd's and i think it must've looked equally funny!
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444