Rear gear shifter not working. would appreciate any help.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check for bent mech/hanger check for mech free movement (disconnect cable) and check cable for friction.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I've threaded a new cable incorrectly once or twice... ( Alright, probably more! )

It looks like the cable is seated within the shifter ok, it even "shifts" but it's totally wrong.

Taking the shifter lid off really helped, but Sram are a bit fidly to redo.

( Secret tip...What I do now is. shine a really small torch, or LED light where the cable comes out the shifter. This gives you a great point to aim for with a new cable if you look for the light via the cable port.)

You heard it here first, Kids !
  • i think its spent buy me that XO Derailleur in Red please
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    It might be completely re doing it from scratch take the cable out and start from there. If the shifter works when the cable is out it must be something to do witht he cable. It's the only way to check it as far as i'm aware. If it is the case that it is the cable might be either worth replacing the inner and outer cable (you can get XTR gear cable set in grey for 17.99) or you could buy a new shifter with cable and hope its just the inner that needed replacing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    If the derailleur seems to move correctly through the first half of its range, then you might want to check inside the derailleur very carefully - there may be a foreign object (stone/twig) wedge in a place that's stopping things from moving correctly.

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!