Its going to break me

Kiwi Kranker
Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Right,

I am about lose it with my Campag Centaur kit. Any advice about the below would be helpful and appreciated as I am very close to switching to Sram or Shimano on my Wilier...heaven forbid! :shock:

1. I have the 10sp carbon shifters and the thumbshift constantly sticks (this is the 2nd set of shifters courtesy of the bikestore as the last ones did the same). Maintenance issue or rubbish design?

2. My mountain bike running Sram shifts smoother and quieter with less drag. Is there a technique to getting Campy to shift just right that is beyond mere mortals? I am perfectly capable of building and setting up bikes but this one is a PITA and I may be having a 'dumber than a bag of hammers' moment. Any tips??

I suspect its a combination of me, middle of the range kit, not being familiar with Campag kit and having top of the line Sram kit on my mountain bike leading me to have high expectations.

In short, do I need to ditch the Centaur for a better groupset or just plain ditch Campag as the other two big names are simply better?

I dont want to kick off a debate about which brand is better but even though its only Campag Centaur I would have thought it would still perform better than it is and I will switch if recommended!

Thanks for in advance for any advice :D

Oh and the rear cassette weighs close to that of my car
Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'

Comments

• Just fit SRAM to it :wink: I love the Force I have on my Izoard :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check the simple stuff like bar tape and lever hoods not getting in the way.

Have you tried flushing through with WD40/GT85 in case it's dirt?

If you remove the lever from the handlebars does it still exhibit the same problems? If not, it may be down to the cable runs / clean and lubed cables.

FWIW my Ultrashift Centaur levers have been faultless for nearly 2 years
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    its you not the kit :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Haha nice Faf, is my shifting technique causing this??! If it is that would be the easiest fix!

I have run through all the usual, checked cables cleaned it out etc etc

Heard a little quiet rumour that it may be that campag is cheapening its kit and instead of a metal roller bearing in the shifter its a crappy hard plastic one that tends to bind occasionally.

Vicious rumour?? I am inclined to think so!

Indexing I will happily stick my hand up and say I am the cause but I have tried and two shop mechanics have had a crack at it too with no joy. I am beginning to think I may have a dodgy derailleur.

Sram is looking more and more attractive!
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    there seems to be quite a few disgruntled campagnolio customers lately. the last one had what they thought was a plastic (as in wheelie bin) lever snap off . maybe there isnt room for 3 brands and theyre being squeezed. would be a shame but not (i think) making mtb stuff could blunt their power?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Heard a little quiet rumour that it may be that campag is cheapening its kit and instead of a metal roller bearing in the shifter its a crappy hard plastic one that tends to bind occasionally.

Vicious rumour?? I am inclined to think so!

Indexing I will happily stick my hand up and say I am the cause but I have tried and two shop mechanics have had a crack at it too with no joy. I am beginning to think I may have a dodgy derailleur.

I don't think Centaur has ever had a roller bearing in it, but I could be wrong, think that was only Chorus/Record.

On the cables, one thing definitely worth checking is how clean the cut ends are. On installation, when the outers are cut to length, if there are *any* small burrs left, or the cut end is not properly flared again, you can get problems. If it's the thumb shifter that's causing the problem, then check the ends in the shifter bodies first.

If indexing is crap, then you possibly have a bent derailleur hanger, not necessarily a dodgy derailleur.

I have four bikes with Campag (and one with Dura Ace), with everything from Comp Triple to Super Record 11 speed, and they all shift flawlessly, even the Shimano one!

And yes, I set them all up, and I am no wizard mechanic, but it wasn't difficult to do and get working perfectly at all. One tip: I find it easiest to fine tune the rear indexing with the downtube barrel adjusters, after setting the one on the rear mech. Dunno why, just is.

Two other things worth checking are:
    - the cable ferrules - they do come in different sizes, and although the shift cables are the smaller diameter ones than brakes, you may still be getting problems if they are the wrong ones
    - the cables themelves - it's surprisingly easy to get a tiny crimp in them which may be enough to cause sticking in the outers, even in a clean lubed one.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Cheers for the advice, trying the above to see how I get on. My Derailleur hanger is straight so hopefully a thorough rebuild of the lot will have it operating as it should, just a PITA to do!
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Cheers for the advice, trying the above to see how I get on. My Derailleur hanger is straight so hopefully a thorough rebuild of the lot will have it operating as it should, just a PITA to do!

it really does sound like theres too much friction in your cable run- ive got centaur shifters (both types) and the ultrashift one are very smooth- almost too smooth -i prefer the clunkiness of the older ergoshift!

also check that your cable is clamped correctly at the rear mech- calmping on the 'wrong' side of the bolt can affect changing.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'