Talk about expensive??

Speed_King
Speed_King Posts: 510
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I recently bought a bike from a member of this site, sold in good faith to me and bought likewise. It is a Boardman Team hybrid, 99% is original as off the shelf just a couple of bits were differant.
The bike arrived via courier on Wednesday and that afternoon i started to add the accesories i had purchased while waiting for its arrival, when i started to assemble it i noticed the following: BOTH wheels badly in need of truing and dishing, front rotor had a bend that needed to be straghtend, rear X7 mech was totalled (as in it had no spring action at all + the pivot was broken as well). Anyway i took the bike to a bike shop as i was seeing far to many probs with this supposedly prestine bike, now before you all start laughing and taking the pee out of me for once none of this happens to be my fault.

So i have had to now buy a new mech £55, have a bronze service done (which inc brakes and gears sorted, everything greased and ready to go etc....) £40, wheel trued and dished £30 per wheel and new chain to go with it £15 totalling £170 and i havent even ridden the bloody thing yet!!!

This i suppose must be one of those learning curves i hear so much about but when you are on a budget you dont have many options and money is more precious! :(
G.H.Allum

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wiggle are really taking the p1ss now...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    one learning curve would be to do some stuff yourself.

Obviously, you may not have the time so your 2nd learning curve would be not to accept what they tell you and take your bike somewhere else. Wheels shouldn't cost 60 quid to service and an x7 mech doesnt cost 55 quid http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41155 and oiling and greasing bits is something you are going to have to do on a weekly basis so why are you paying 40 quid for someone else to do it? You can get the oil and filter changed on a car for less than 40 quid!!

If you've not he technical ability or the time fair enough, but talk to other people/shops.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    and also one more learning point.

Try to see the bike before purchase, even if it means a day in the car. It often will cost a similar amount to the other party will charge for delivery too. You can also barter easier face to face.
  • Do you think that perhaps you should stop buying bikes on the internet until you can learn how to inspect them and accurately asess their condition.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited July 2010
    I don't see how you can complain about your budget, I certainly couldn't afford to buy a Focus and a Boardman in quick succession. I think I recall that you even offered the seller MORE than he was asking! So you don't inspect the bike and you appear to ask no questions about it, and you offer over the odds . . . I don't know about the bikes but I think your head needs at least a bronze service :?

maybe Wiggle will chuck one in as a goodwill gesture
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Speed king, are you attention seeking with this post?

Were you not selling a (dodgy) FOCUS for more than the original price?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Do you think that perhaps you should stop buying bikes on the internet until you can learn how to inspect them and accurately asess their condition.

I assume that is a rhetorical question!
  • Speed_King
    -Liam- wrote:
    one learning curve would be to do some stuff yourself.

Obviously, you may not have the time so your 2nd learning curve would be not to accept what they tell you and take your bike somewhere else. Wheels shouldn't cost 60 quid to service and an x7 mech doesnt cost 55 quid http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41155 and oiling and greasing bits is something you are going to have to do on a weekly basis so why are you paying 40 quid for someone else to do it? You can get the oil and filter changed on a car for less than 40 quid!!

If you've not he technical ability or the time fair enough, but talk to other people/shops.

I do have some mechanical knowledge mate, but it worked out cheaper to have a service rather than pay labour on each thing individual item plus paying out on the bits that need replacing and as for the trueing of the wheels being expensive it isnt if i only wanted to have the wheels trued a little it would only cost £15 each but seeing as they were fairly bad and needed to be dished too it was dearer, and i dont have the equipment to do it myself, most minor things i do at home but i do not have the money to buy outright all the stuff that mechanics use, to avoid having to fork out labour costs.

The brake set up and gear sorting is just part of the service offered. and i dont have many shops to hand the nearest other than the one on my doorstep is 30 miles away and i dont have a car!! so i use public transport but his prices are fairly similar ok?
    G.H.Allum
  • Speed_King
    alfablue wrote:
    I don't see how you can complain about your budget, I certainly couldn't afford to buy a Focus and a Boardman in quick succession. I think I recall that you even offered the seller MORE than he was asking! So you don't inspect the bike and you appear to ask no questions about it, and you offer over the odds . . . I don't know about the bikes but I think your head needs at least a bronze service :?

Alfablue for as start the bike was in Ipswich so how can i have inspected it i was sent pictures on top of the ones shown on here and it looked in good condition the seller actually hadnt riden the bike it was bought to help him get fit and never happened it just sat in his house, the person who owned it prior to him was the one who obviously had ridden it and done the damage that i am now fixing, 2 i sold the Focus and used some of the money to buy the Boardman i dont have a bottomless pit of cash ready to hand ok!!! and yes i offered £20 more than asked for because he was paying for the postage, so dont come on here giving me attiude saying i can afford this and that, and i asked plenty of questions via Email. You know nothing about the sale or the conversations that took place so keep your opinions to yourself please.
    G.H.Allum
  • Speed_King
    Speed king, are you attention seeking with this post?

Were you not selling a (dodgy) FOCUS for more than the original price?

Dunno what gave you that idea i was not selling it for more than the original price at all i originally asked for 900 then it was dropped to the eventual price i recieved for it the 2009 Focus Culebro was sold to me for £ 949.00 from Wiggle so get your facts straight . and no i was just posting a topic not attention seeking i am 40 yrs old not 4 months mate
    G.H.Allum
  • alfablue
    Speed_King wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Alfablue for as start the bike was in Ipswich so how can i have inspected it i was sent pictures on top of the ones shown on here and it looked in good condition the seller actually hadnt riden the bike it was bought to help him get fit and never happened it just sat in his house, the person who owned it prior to him was the one who obviously had ridden it and done the damage that i am now fixing, 2 i sold the Focus and used some of the money to buy the Boardman i dont have a bottomless pit of cash ready to hand ok!!! and yes i offered £20 more than asked for because he was paying for the postage, so dont come on here giving me attiude saying i can afford this and that, and i asked plenty of questions via Email. You know nothing about the sale or the conversations that took place so keep your opinions to yourself please.
    You are at it again Speed King - you need to learn that if you participate on a public forum, opinions WILL be forthcoming, I am not going to stop offering mine just because you don't like it. You have made a bit of a fool of yourself in the past on this site (Be Warned) and it seems that you want to do the same again. It matters not if the bike is in Ipswich or Papua New Guinea, you did not inspect it, which is your choice, but you can see now why that is unwise. A possible solution is to buy bikes that are being sold nearer to you so you can inspect.

BTW, expect to get more opinions, if you don't like it, don't write on the forum.
  • Speed_King
    PS alfablue i wouldnt mind about you giving your opinion if it was actuall about the topic i posted instead you always take stupid pot shots at me and think its right to belittle me on here, be careful mate or i will be reporting you and others like you to the bikeradar managenent.
    Dont think you can take the piss out of me without me retaliating !!!
    G.H.Allum
  • Speed_King
    alfablue wrote:
    Speed_King wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

You are at it again Speed King - you need to learn that if you participate on a public forum, opinions WILL be forthcoming, I am not going to stop offering mine just because you don't like it. You have made a bit of a fool of yourself in the past on this site (Be Warned) and it seems that you want to do the same again. It matters not if the bike is in Ipswich or Papua New Guinea, you did not inspect it, which is your choice, but you can see now why that is unwise. A possible solution is to buy bikes that are being sold nearer to you so you can inspect.

BTW, expect to get more opinions, if you don't like it, don't write on the forum.

I have no way of getting there to inspect it i have a young boyto look after and do not have the money or the time to go all over the place looking at bikes, at great length i looked at the pictures and asked Questions of the seller please keep giving your opinions but stick to the topic under discussion which is not ME!
    G.H.Allum
  • Speed_King
    PSTRY LOOKING UNDER MY UNDERNEATH MY NAME I LIVE IN ALYESBURY IN BUCKS WHICH IS ABIT FAR AWAY ALTHOUGH I WOULD UNDERSTAND IF GEOGRAPHY ISNT YOUR STRONG SUIT.
    G.H.Allum
  • alfablue
    Speed_King wrote:
    Dont think you can take the wee-wee out of me without me retaliating !!!
    I'm so scared I'm wetting myself :cry:

I know you couldn't travel to view it, but you COULD make a choice, you made it, it backfired.

Oh, and what was the subject of the post - "its expensive to buy bikes without inspecting them and I want to moan about it" - fine, go ahead, we'll offer opinions. . . or didn't you want that? Just what do you want? Poor poor Speed King perhaps??? :?
  • alfablue
    Speed_King wrote:
    PSTRY LOOKING UNDER MY UNDERNEATH MY NAME I LIVE IN ALYESBURY IN BUCKS WHICH IS ABIT FAR AWAY ALTHOUGH I WOULD UNDERSTAND IF GEOGRAPHY ISNT YOUR STRONG SUIT.
    [shout] NO ONE MADE YOU BUY THE BIKE, YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO BUY IT, I UNDERSTAND COMMON SENSE IS NOT YOUR STRONG SUIT[/shout]
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

pmsl....Perhaps you and the internets are suffering a slight compatibility issue. Wonder if Evans have a level of service to help :lol:

Dude. Calm down!! Go and ride your bike or something ;)
  • Speed_King
    I didnt post to moan about it Alfablue ?? I just posted a topic to TALK about it, i was only saying what i had done and what i was having to do it didnt warrent a sarcastic set of comments from you or anyone else whats the matter cant i even post on here anymore without you all wanting to have a pot shot at me??????
    G.H.Allum
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Is this another attempt at a blackmail thread like the wiggle one was I wonder?
  • Speed_King
    Err no... dont have problem with seller at all. we get on fine thanks lol and the last thread wasnt a blackmail thread either mate be carefull what you say, as you are aware Wiggle DO use this site so dont go saying things that are very close to being slanderous to myself or saying things that involve Wiggle or conversations we may have had ok?
    G.H.Allum
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    I am afraid in my opinion it *was* an attempt at blackmail with wiggle- did the first email you send them consist of something along the lines of;

"I've had this issue with a bike I've bought from you, look at this thread on BikeRadar for more details"

?

Edit: Learn the difference between libel, slander and expressing an opinion. Also, I'm not your mate.
  • alfablue
    Speed_King wrote:
    I didnt post to moan about it Alfablue ?? I just posted a topic to TALK about it,
    Talk about it - for what purpose?
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    The title of the thread suggests you fancied a moan..

An alternative title may of been "Learn from my mistakes" or something a little more positive.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Speed_King, what a hero.

If his postings on here mimic his real life personality........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    Speed_King, what a hero.

If his postings on here mimic his real life personality........
    Imagine he worked in the same place as you - TBH I would be in hysterics. The upsides far outweigh the downsides.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    MATE, I F*CKIN LOVE SPEED KING THREADS!!!!

SSDD.... long may it continue.

Mate.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Speed King - the bike was described as being in brand new A1 condition in the ad, and appeared so in the pics apart from some apparant marks on the forks which were put down to a reflection.

Do you think the bike was damaged in transit, or that the seller mis-represented the condtion of it? in other words, did you receive the bike that was in the pictures?

If the seller mis-lead, then they should be coughing up the cost of repairs (or at least a good contribution towards them). As you have already had them done, it would be a bit late to ask for a refund and return the bike without losing what you have paid for repairs. If the seller has been misleading, I am bewildered as to why you would not have any issue with them.

If the bike was damaged in transit then was it insured and can a claim be made? If not then you were taking the risk and are probably stuck with the repair bill yourself.
  • Speed_King wrote:
    Err no... dont have problem with seller at all. we get on fine thanks lol and the last thread wasnt a blackmail thread either mate be carefull what you say, as you are aware Wiggle DO use this site so dont go saying things that are very close to being slanderous to myself or saying things that involve Wiggle or conversations we may have had ok?

You dont have a problem with the seller and you get on fine?
    Didn't the seller just sell you a dodgy bike?
    IIf you dont have a problem with the seller then why come on here and moan about the seller?... Or moan about the bikeshop that ripped you off?.. You confuse me Speedking (if that is your real name)

I was a huge fan of the wiggle focus thing by the way, highly entertaining :lol:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Speed_King - there are no bounds to his lack of common sense

Speed_King - giving us endless amounts of entertainment from his threads.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Speed King, the moral of this story is not to buy used bikes you haven't inspected from sellers you don't know over the internet.

You'd be much better off buying new bikes from a reputable online retailer.

I've heard that Wiggle are good.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!