Went to the edge (Alderley)

vroomvroom
vroomvroom Posts: 72
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Set off at 7am this morn from Wilmslow for a 20 mile jaunt..taking in Macclesfield road and the climb up to the edge :(

I don’t know how it compares to big (real) climbs but it nearly killed me.. I absolutely refused to stop, even when I was down to 4.1 MPH :oops:

As I got to the top I swore I would never do it again…however by the time I rode into Macclesfield (about 30 minutes later) I was planning my next ascent, is this what is meant by the cycling bug ??

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Yes
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Yes
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    You have it bad. And it wont stop till you're doing the hill at 15mph....and then you look for bigger hills and bigger hills and bigger hi....oh you get the point
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    vroomvroom, if you ever fancy a leisurely ride out in the week let me know, I know quite a few good climbs in the area!
  • vroomvroom
    NapoleonD wrote:
    ... I know quite a few good climbs in the area!..

Definition being …leisurely, easy, good views…. or things that make you hurt (bad) ??
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    You kept going! There's the grit to build your fitness on!
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • Anonymous
    vroomvroom wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    ... I know quite a few good climbs in the area!..

Definition being …leisurely, easy, good views…. or things that make you hurt (bad) ??

All and any.

As Macondo said, you carried on. Nice work.
  • Mootanclan
    Mootanclan Posts: 63
    vroomvroom let us know your complete route as i fancy doing that one
    Cube Peleton Race 2013
    Cube cross race cx 2016

I have a cycling problem work gets in the way!!!
  • vroomvroom
    Left house in Wilmslow

Headed east across the bypass (A34) onto the start of Prestbury road (1/2 mile of smooth flat road)

At first round about turned right (Hough lane) through to the back of Alderley Edge onto the high street

Tuned left up Macclesfield Road (up the “hill of death” then along here for circa 8 miles)

Into Macclesfield , Left on to beach lane (pretty much along here for another 8 miles) road names change a lot , ..Heybridge lane, the Village, Castle Hill, Manchester road, Wilmslow road , Prestbury road etc…loads of gazillion pound houses to look at …

Back onto the ½ mile long straight section of Prestbury Road – stuck up along side a tractor doing circa 25 mph, it sucked me along ..I even had to use my brakes occasionally to avoid riding into him.. :lol:
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    If you want to make the ride even more challenging ascend the Edge up Swiss Hill but you will need low gears. At the roundabout at the bottom of the Wizard climb take the road bearing left and after about quarter of a mile opposite the tennis courts you will see Swiss Hill on your right. The hardest section is a short cobbled section which is slippy when wet so you have to keep in your saddle. It meets the main road climb which you did near the top.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    If you want to make the ride even more challenging ascend the Edge up Swiss Hill

Masochists only need apply. Those cobbles were definitely not my idea of fun.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    My father used to work at Jodrell Bank and I'm keen to get down there before summer ends. If there's a few on here wanting to go might be worth a meeting somewhere; I'll poke our lot on the NWCC forums!
  • vroomvroom
    I would be up for a meet but can’t really attend yet..... as I am really an imposter ...still only have MTB (all be it on slicks) :oops:

Used to live in Holmes Chapel so Jodrell bank well !!
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Bunneh wrote:
    My father used to work at Jodrell Bank and I'm keen to get down there before summer ends. If there's a few on here wanting to go might be worth a meeting somewhere; I'll poke our lot on the NWCC forums!

I'd be up for that - is it worth putting some sort of notice in the rides section of the forum?
  • Anonymous
    vroomvroom wrote:
    I would be up for a meet but can’t really attend yet..... as I am really an imposter ...still only have MTB (all be it on slicks) :oops:

Used to live in Holmes Chapel so Jodrell bank well !!

I still do live in Holmes Chapel!