Footon become GEOX

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... unego.html

And sign the little prince.

So not going to Sky or Garmin then....

And Corti back in the fold by the looks of things
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Interesting to see Menchov and Rogers mentioned too.

In some ways its nice to see Geox reject Lampre, given Sarroni's copycat tactics of Savio when it comes to hiring ex-dopers because they're cheap.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Its funny how some teams struggle to get sponsorship while others seem to get constant new investment. Got to hand it to Gianneti, he's some salesman.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Teflon Mauro

I suppose a sponsor looking for quick exposure at the top level and a team organisation like Gianetti's are a match made in heaven.

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    On the one hand Caisse d'Epargne can't get a replacement sponsor, yet on the other Gianetti does it again and procures another new sponsor to cycling. How does he do it?
  • iainf72
    Did you know : Footon have a no needles policy.

I wonder what the average age of the squad this year was - They seemed very young but some good guys.

Still, Gianetti gives me the creeps.
  • andyp
    It's hard not to see why;

Carriera_manager1.jpg
  • andyp
    It'll be interesting to see if they get race invites next year. They were very fortunate this year and benefitted more than anyone from the agreement between the UCI and race organisers about inviting the original ProTour teams to races. Given their lack of results and names they'd be easy to overlook next season unless they can sign up some big names who'll garner them invites.

I'm not sure Cunego, Menchov or Rogers would be enough.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:

I'm not sure Cunego, Menchov or Rogers would be enough.

They really should be, all things considered. 2 Giro and 2 Vuelta wins between them.

I've seen the Dodger is linked to Katusha too.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hopefully they will change that fugly kit!
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    Pokerface wrote:
    but keep the shiny Bikes!

also i dont know if any team was involved in more breaks then them at the TDF this year?
    they seemed to be in every one - surely as there are only 3-4 teams with any real chance of big wins aggresive mentality will count for something otu of the also rans?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I am not sure Gianetti will ever be given the benefit of the doubt... but they proved better than expecations at the Tour de France this year and look to have some decent prospects.

If they can keep them together and add the right experience they should still be considered for the big races next year.
  • Kléber
    If things are to believed, Gianetti's turned over a new leaf. But it's hard to forget all the past stories, the nonsense at Saunier-Duval or the PFC experiments.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    It still irritates me that this lot got a ride in the Tour over Vaconsolei...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Maybe he thinks that if they just change the name often enough, people will forget who they are and mistake them for a new team. Saunier Duval... Scott... American Beef... Footon... Servetto... Geox.... repeat.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    afx237vi wrote:
    Maybe he thinks that if they just change the name often enough, people will forget who they are and mistake them for a new team. Saunier Duval... Scott... American Beef... Footon... Servetto... Geox.... repeat.
    repeat won't work - we'll remember!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    As Kleber says the talk was of Footon drawing a line in the sand of the past and starting as a new "clean" team hence the huge amount of young riders in the squad this year. Didn't know about the no needles policy iain mentions but sounds like at least they've trying to go down the right path.

As for invites for the 2011season:

"The Management Committee also defined the regulations for participation in the 2011 UCI World Calendar events. The UCI ProTeams – of which there will be a maximum of 18 – will be obliged to participate in UCI ProTour races. The top 17 UCI Professional Continental Teams of the 2010 UCI World Ranking will also have the right to participate.

As for the Monument events, these shall invite the 17 best teams of the 2010 UCI World Ranking. "

So to get a guaranteed invite to the Grand Tours they need to be top 17 ranked at the end of the 2010 season. However, that table is based on the new squad going forward not the old one which has just finished the season, so by bringing in Cunego and maybe a couple of other big names they're buying in ranking points which could elevate them to top 17.

Ironically this is a tactic Sky may have to employ after their disappointing season as they're in a dodgy 17th place at the moment. Menchov, Cunego and Rogers all have more points than any Sky rider so if GEOX got two of those they're threatening Brailsford's brave new world.
  • Kléber
    Isn't it the case that Sky and Footon (Geox) have existing licences, so they are part of the 18 Pro Tour lot, rather than the 17 Pro Conti lot?
  • jimmythecuckoo

Even though they did ok, I am still a bit surprised they got in.I joined the Vacansoleil fanclub to get cheap holidays and they sent a team brochure (badly) translated into English.

They have some good riders.

Skil too, but them I am Albert Timmer's stalker.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Even though they did ok, I am still a bit surprised they got in.I joined the Vacansoleil fanclub to get cheap holidays and they sent a team brochure (badly) translated into English.

They have some good riders.

Skil too, but them I am Albert Timmer's stalker.

didn't VacanSolei sponsor some of the ASO races as well just to make sure they got an invite and then still missed out ?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    They did sponsor Paris-Nice if my memory serves me well.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Kléber wrote:
    Isn't it the case that Sky and Footon (Geox) have existing licences, so they are part of the 18 Pro Tour lot, rather than the 17 Pro Conti lot?

They're ProTour so that won't be affected - but entry to the Grand Tours + monuments is outside the ProTour itself and only top 17 in rankings from PT and PC combined get automatic invites next year - this replaces the 2008 agreement.
  • iainf72
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... andby.html

So he's not at GEOX yet.

And definately not going to Sky or Garmin.
  • iainf72
    GEOX officially confirmed
  • Kléber
    No smelly feet for Gianetti. But will they sign any decent riders?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Pokerface wrote:
    But let's hope they don't wear the shoes or Geox doesn't make cycling shoes.

Fugliest
    Shoes
    Ever

http://www.zappos.com/search/brand/374/ ... arity/asc/

Can you say velcro?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.