Lab testing

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
Has anyone ever done any lab testing as part of their training to get real numbers to work with and did you think it was beneficial?

I am still relatively new to cycling and whilst I think I have been training well each time I have done the Etape (previous 2 years) I have felt crap at the end of it. I have had no problems in any other events or training. I am wondering if understanding my body in detail will help.

Hoping to do the Marmotte next year and want a better end experience.

Found these 2 via google

http://www.theendurancelab.com/
http://www.sportstest.co.uk/

Or if anyone knows if anywhere in Scotland that offers the same service

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    University sports departments are your best bet for these and often looking for people to be guinea pigs for post grad students in their research projects so they are free into the boot. Email the sports science depts close to you asking if they are needing an people for testing.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Yes I've tested 3 times - full face mask and blood tests - and the knowledge and tips provided have made no end of difference in training - more focussed, less time wasting - and achievment - rode the rather hard telemark tours this June 260km in rolling/hilly norwegian countryside.
    I was tired at the end after 12 cycling but felt good all the time. If you're not very keen on DIY training plans going to someone who'll do the tests and give you customised training plan is a good way to go - but might be more pricey.
    I'm fit fat(tish) and soon to I turn 50 so not your typical roady by any means but I reasoned that spending x thousand pounds on bike, kit, gels etc was daft if I was too miserely to fork out 70 or so for a test (1000 SEK in Sweden)
    So find somewhere you feel ok about and go for it - but having a clear goal will help them tailor both testing and plans better
    Good luck!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did one with sportstest, very useful info gained.