Petacchi - Can someone explain

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited August 2010 in Pro race
I was just reading the news of the Petacchi having to explain himself. Whilst this is obviously something for the authorities. If they did find against him, it mentioned he could get a lifetime ban. If that was the case would Cav then be given the Green jersey?
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Would it not make more sense to negate his stage results and thus bump those finishing behind him up the order. I think that would give the jersey to Thor.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Timoid. wrote:
    Would it not make more sense to negate his stage results and thus bump those finishing behind him up the order. I think that would give the jersey to Thor.

No, because I want Cav to win it.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Chances are that any ban would take place AFTER his Tour results. So that would stand.

It's possible they would do a retrospective ban - a little like Valverde.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They could impose the ban from the date any wrongdoing first came to light.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I think riders only usually lose their results for races in which they've actually been caught doping in. For example, Mikel Astarloza kept his stage win from last year despite having tested positive at the Spanish Nationals just prior to the Tour.

As Petacchi's alleged crimes weren't at this Tour, it won't effect the Green Jersey.

(I realise Valverde lost his 2010 results, but that was a unique and altogether more complicated legal situation)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the Valverde one was strange as his doping case was from 06 yet he lost results in 10.

Would love Cav to win the jersey but I think Petachi won it on the road so let the result stange, otherwise you could end up with the riding in 20th winning it
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    sherer wrote:
    Would love Cav to win the jersey but I think Petachi won it on the road so let the result stange, otherwise you could end up with the riding in 20th winning it

Welcome to the forum Pat
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    Cav will win his own jersey when he grows up. That jersey he will have earned.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    The Jack wrote:
    Cav will win his own jersey when he grows up. That jersey he will have earned.

The question really was more around Petacchi and me understanding, if he was found to be on the wrong side of the test, how a ban would be implemented especially as it was an infringement potentially over a year ago. I think in atheletics they strip people of their results and medals. If that was the case I was wondering how it would affect the TDF result.

Just trying to understand how it works in pro cycling circles. Thanks
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Even if Petacchi got stripped of TDF Green Jersey, and his results removed from each stage, Hushvod would then win it by 2 points. Cav is then second.
    Lots of if, but's and maybe's, Cav not sprinting for minor positions, Hushvod not getting chance to sprint in Belgian stage.

Whether they give it to him is debatable, no-one got Kohl's KOM Jersey from two years ago when he failed.

At the moment Petacchi is innocent until proven guilty.....................