Jupiter

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited July 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Very bright in the eastern sky at the moment, so I'd thought I'd swing my camera that way and take a pic, just to see if it showed owt. Was pleasantly surpised that it picked out a couple of moons either side:

jupiter1.jpg

Comments

• pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    Nice pic.

If you look in a direct line towards the moon from there, the next bright dot you can see is Uranus. About an inch away from Juptier, with the naked eye. Obviously it's more than an inch, but you know what I mean. You should be able to make it out with a naked eye, but it'll look like a star rather than a planetary disc.

Neptune is currently in approx the 5 O'Clock position from the moon, at the lower edge of Aquarius.

I'll get back in my box now.
  • supersonic
    Cheers! Just took it on the off chance, balanced the cam on the bathroom windowsill! In another shot you can see three moons, but the exposure time blurred the pic.

Uranus is very dim though at about magnitude 5.7 - on a good day you can just about see down to 5, and with the moon only 4. But the camera might pick it out, might have a go tomorrow at it.
  • pte1643
    Assuming the pic above is very recent (ie. tonight within the last couple of hours) and assuming North Up. East Right...

The Left moon is Callisto and the Right is Io.

You probably could/should have been able to see all 4 of the Gallieans through the viewfinder maybe just didn't show up in the image (too dim perhaps?).

Haven't looked through the telescope for ages now. Just one of many hobbies.
  • supersonic
    Could only get three, same in binocs, I guess one was being eclipsed.

Got a nice scope in the conservatory, will have to dust it off lol. Bright moon was bit of a bugger, but could make out M31 pretty easily.
  • supersonic
    Ah, one shot I do have all 4, the right hand resolves into two lights, while at the left hand side there is a blob quite close.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice shot.

Bollorks to being able to see more in the viewfinder than you can photograph. What can appear as mere pinpricks in the viewfinder, or even completely invisible, can come up great with a few seconds exposure.

I keep lusting after a 500mm lens with a x2 teleconverter which should give nice night sky pictures, but I'm currently absolutely skint :(
  • pte1643
    Bollorks to being able to see more in the viewfinder than you can photograph. What can appear as mere pinpricks in the viewfinder, or even completely invisible, can come up great with a few seconds exposure.(

I was just thinking along the lines of... If you were using a decent lens that can gather plenty of light (ie, similar to a scope or bino's).
  • Is that really Jupiter's moons? I never even contemplated that you could see them with the naked eye. That's amazing.
  • pte1643
    Is that really Jupiter's moons?

Yep. 2 of the Galileans.

I never even contemplated that you could see them with the naked eye. That's amazing.

Not really. Theoretically you could, but you'd need exceptional eyesite, and they are mostly "blocked" out by the glare of Jupiter itself.

They are VERY easy to see with just a small pair of Bino's though. No need for a Hubble sized telescope.
  • Anonymous
    pte1643 wrote:
    Bollorks to being able to see more in the viewfinder than you can photograph. What can appear as mere pinpricks in the viewfinder, or even completely invisible, can come up great with a few seconds exposure.(

I was just thinking along the lines of... If you were using a decent lens that can gather plenty of light (ie, similar to a scope or bino's).
    Nope. A telescope is different. On a camera, the light has to pass through the lens, and the pentaprism viewfinder on an SLR.
    Most of the time you see much more once you've taken the picture over, say 4 seconds (or even much much longer) than you cold through the viewfinder, or with your eyes.
    Best option is the live view, which is fantastic on SLRs, as the sensors are great, and adjust gain themselves so you can see much better - kind of like a light intensifying scope.
  • supersonic
    Yes, you could not see much in the view finder, I was relying on the exposure.

Surprisingly web cams can make good live sky spotters.
  • thats an ace photo!

I hate thinking about space....its just too big for me to comprehend, so I pretend its not there!
  • supersonic
    Cheers, but is a pretty basic photo really! If clear tonight I am going to have another go -got a few tricks I will try, and will try and get saturn too and hopefully the rings.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Cheers, but is a pretty basic photo really! If clear tonight I am going to have another go -got a few tricks I will try, and will try and get saturn too and hopefully the rings.
    Photoshop?
    :lol:
  • supersonic
    Lol, might try and stack some shorter exposed pics to try and get rid of the glare.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Which one does Dr Who come from?
  • Splottboy wrote:
    Cardiff isn't a moon!
  • Splottboy
    No, but I've seen a pair of nice"moons" in Westgate Street!! LOL!
    ( Well some nice boobies, outside of the Taxi rank. )

What I meant was, I thought the Doc was from a moon somewhere?
    Galifrey or something?

Great pictures, really brings our Solar System into reality.
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:
    Cardiff isn't a moon!
    Last time I drove into Caaaaaaadif, I got mooned by a bus full of girls on a hen night htough!
  • Splottboy
    Probably my female relatives from Splott !

Halle Boppe comet thing was the best celestial thing I've seen, except the semi-eclipse in Anglesey few years back.
  • Anonymous
    I filmed the total eclipse in 1998 (I think?!?) using my dad's sony camcorder, with a piece of welding goggle glass on it as a filter. Worked a treat.
    Amazing sight.
  • supersonic
    Fookin clouds.

Eclipse was 99 I think, I remember trying to view it view these perspex tinted sheets we had at work lol.

Hale-Bopp was amazing.
  • supersonic
    Managed to get all 4 moons:

jupiter2.jpg
  • That's sick!

Where is Jupiter. North? South? ..
  • supersonic
    Due east at the minute - the bright 'star' close to the moon.
  • Anonymous
    very cool!
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    saw the nothern lights in whistler in 2002.
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    psymon wrote:
    saw the nothern lights in whistler in 2002.

That is something I'd love to see.

Always hoped when I was working on the planes I would see them on the way back from a long haul trip to the west somewhere as we flew through the night but never did :( The pilots said they often saw them but on my flights never happened FAIL
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Its been cloudy every night round here for ages now :roll:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3