Best chrome polish

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I just bought a second hand Mondia Dutch style bike :D (Actually made in Belgium). I want to get rid of as much of the rust as possible from the chrome and also from the frame. Any ideas about the best polish available these days :?:
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Before you try polish, a wizard tip is to rub the rust with scrunched-up balls of kitchen foil.

I was showed this by my old head of department while I was a DT technician years ago and it's like magic. It's all I ever need to get rid of minor rust spots on my motorbike exhaust and fork legs etc.

If the rust is more stubborn, or it's pitted the chrome then you might need something stronger, but try the tinfoil first...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    Auto-Glym and Meguiar's (sp?) are two brands that have always been highly regarded by the classic car brigade. I think Halfords stock one of them, if not both.

I've heard about the tinfoil trick too, but have never tried it.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    autosol is good metal polish.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    rake wrote:
    autosol is good metal polish.
    +1
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Mr Tom wrote:
    I just bought a second hand Mondia Dutch style bike :D (Actually made in Belgium). I want to get rid of as much of the rust as possible from the chrome and also from the frame. Any ideas about the best polish available these days :?:

if the chrome plating has rust on it, then the finish is compromised and no amount of polish will restore it. All the polish will do is make the non-rusty bits shinier.....
  • Mr Tom
    OK, I'll give the tinfoil a try and also try to pick up some polish tomorrow. I'd like to get the rust off, even if I can't replace the finish. Thanks for the advice!
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Ridgeback Envoy
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    +1 for Autosol. Right now I'm using stuff called Peek - much the same as Autosol- applied with very fine wire wool. Aluminium foil to follow with a dash of vinegar - scrumptious.
    If the chrome is pitted, it's probably had it and re-plating is the only way to bring it to its original gleam.
  • Mr Tom
    Aluminium foil with some vinegar worked a treat! The chrome is pitted in places, but still looks miles better than it did with rust on it. One thing I noticed was that the foil cut my fingers a little bit, so would probably get some latex gloves next time round.
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Ridgeback Envoy