BP and the Yanks

woodnut
woodnut Posts: 562
edited July 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Watching Newsnight.......I know that BP have made a right bollox of things but these US politicians make me hurl.

One word, Bhopal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Comments

• Obama is being a prick about this. Considering the way the UK backs the US to the hilt, they've been grade A cünts about this BP thing and prior to that about the Falklands.

As far as I'm concerned, they can fück off. China will be the superpower soon anyway so best start kissing up to them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BP have been wakners in this as well though. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, really.
  • Anonymous
    hm, isnt this the kind of thing splott boy would post, where is he this evening?
  • Anonymous
    Oh, didn't you hear? After the Jews left his B&B, he got a load of Satanists, They sacrificed him.
  • BP have never said that they wouldn't pay for the clean up - Obama hasn't seemed to have heared this, the way he's talking, anyone would think that BP have been refusing to pay for the situation! :? He's turning out to be a right dick if you ask me.

I don't remember the Prime Minister getting involved and blaming the US, when a US oil major dumped a load of crude oil all over the Pembrokeshire coast :roll:

Now the US has given permission for Exxon to put a bit in for BP (should it get into real trouble) to create a whopping big US oil giant... Or whatever is bigger than the giant Exxon already is!

How very convenient!

Sorry, bit of a rant there. :D
  • Anonymous
    The spill on the Pembrokeshire coast was nothing compared to this though.
    I think the anger comes because there were no contingency plans made for such a catastrophic event.
    Also, the head of BP didn't exactly put himself across in a particularly well thought out way.
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    has anyone noticed that:

A - the rig was an american rig that was rented.

B - 95% of workers on the rig were american

C - The part that failed was an american manufactured part

Basically everything was american except for the the company paying for the lease and then contracting out the work. Then BP takes all the blame and pays for everything without any other company stepping in and saying, "erm, it was out part that failed" or "20% of the lease was an american company".

Yes BP were the ones making the vast majority of the money but it sucks that they are being held 'solely' responsible because their the only non american company involved.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Anonymous
    Same in any inductry though. If a part fails, it's because of who is responsible for it.
    For example, if a (let's say) Rear mech develops a fault due to bad manufacture, it would be Sachs, Campag or Shimano that are responsible, not XYZ or Mitsubishi etc machine tools.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BP isn't a "british company", it's a multinational, same as pretty much every other company of its size.

Obama's taken a strong line on them but I don't think it's because they're british. He's got a slightly green agenda which in the US means taking on oil dependance, and now he's got a genuine oil disaster to work with. He'd be a fool not to take that and run with it. I don't think it makes any difference what oil company it is really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Bloody Ungrateful Yanks

A few years ago, if they wanted oil they had to go on an expensive raid of some middle easten country to get their hands on it. BP delivers it almost to their door and they start complaining
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongeneri ... Id=7019612

BP is 1% more UK-ish than US-ish.

Make of this, what you will.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Same in any inductry though. If a part fails, it's because of who is responsible for it.
    For example, if a (let's say) Rear mech develops a fault due to bad manufacture, it would be Sachs, Campag or Shimano that are responsible, not XYZ or Mitsubishi etc machine tools.
    I see what you're saying, but I'd look at it in a different way.

Lets compare BP hiring in a rig, which then hired in a drill to Giant, who uses a Shimano Casette to run a SRAM chain. If the chain snaps, SRAM are to blame, not Giant.

I'm surprised that BP have taken this much of a beating. They're now selling off £30billion worth of assetts to cover the cost of the cleanup. I can't help but think there is a conspiracy that a full American company will come and take them over in the next few years.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Read more Chomsky and you'll realise this is a pretty minor event in the whole scheme of things.

And China is already more powerful than America, it just doesn't use it's military overseas. It just buys everything instead.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    BP owned rig... So it could be argued that it's "technically" British owned.

But American managed, and operated.

American C-o-c-k up is how I see it.

It's been mentioned about the UK backing the Yanks in everything.

Cameron needs to tell Obama that if they aren't at least going to share some of the responsiblity/bill for clean up then he can sort his own bloody war out in Afghanistan.
  • Northwind
    pte1643 wrote:
    Cameron needs to tell Obama that if they aren't at least going to share some of the responsiblity/bill for clean up then he can sort his own bloody war out in Afghanistan.

If Obama was demanding the UK pay for the cleanup you might have a point :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The UK government should demand that the US taxpayer foots the bill for 10 years of us being in Afghanistan, after all, New York isn't in the UK...
  • butcher of bakersfield
    butcher of bakersfield Posts: 1,233
    edited July 2010
    As above - the UK isn't getting stung on this. BP is. Which happens to be owned by several countries across the world (America having a pretty much equal share to the UK).

Obama however, is being a dick. For what reasons I do not know.
  • Anonymous
    I see what you're saying, but I'd look at it in a different way.

Lets compare BP hiring in a rig, which then hired in a drill to Giant, who uses a Shimano Casette to run a SRAM chain. If the chain snaps, SRAM are to blame, not Giant.
    That's basically what I was trying to explain.
  • Yes, the Pembrokeshire spill was a lot less but it still had a massive impact on the local area. The same impacts - dead wildlife, tourism, fishing etc. Don't underesitmate the impact just because the spill was smaller.

The problem is with the oil industry as a whole, but for reasons of economic gain, Obama decided to tell his country that it was a "British" issue and that this "British" company will pay. He made it a personal issue with Britain - which was unfair because we all know how bad American companies have behaved all over the world.

The man is a hypocrit and that is my only issue with the whole thing! :D
  • Northwind
    Obama decided to tell his country that it was a "British" issue and that this "British" company will pay. He made it a personal issue with Britain

IMO this is total, total rubbish. But hey, you're entitled to it.
    Uncompromising extremist