Do I buy 7 speed shifters, or upgrade?

ChrisSA
ChrisSA Posts: 455
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have a Spesh Hardrock (1998), to which I have fitted Avid Single Digit 7s. I'm still using the combined AceraX shifters with brake levers.

I want to fit Avid SL7 levers, so will need some separate shifters. Do I get whatever Shimano have left on the market 21spd wise (STX RC £23.99 at Wiggle), or do I buy a 27spd shifter set, and lock out 2 of the gears with the rear mech travel? Price difference 7 to 9spd is not much...

I can't immediate upgrade the entire drive train as the rear wheel only has a 7spd freehub, and would need redishing to accomplish 8/9 spds (plus I'd need new chainrings, cassette and chain).

Thoughts/Recommendations.
Cheers
Chris

[edit: forgt cassette in upgrade route!]

Comments

• bertberr
    bertberr Posts: 151
    I'm in a similar boat with my '91 Cinder Cone, braking surfaces are shot, so need new wheels (sticking with v-brakes), but can't decide if to go 9spd or stay with 7spd?

I know I'll need cassette, shifter and chain, but didn't think I'd need new chainrings?
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    They say when replacing the drive chain to replace the whole lot that way it wears out all together and a new chain can mesh in with the cassette and mechs and chainrings well.

If the price differance isnt too much then go for the 9spd shifters. Best thing about it is it will work for the 7 speeds that you want at the moment just remember you dont have two of the gears and you can then later upgrade the drive chain. To me its a worthy upgrade/ investment and i would do it.
  • 9 speed shifters wont work with a 7sp set up, the gaps between the gears is very different, so the shifter wont find the gears! youve got 9 in the same space you had 7, and the gaps between them are a lot smaller!!
    you wont need a new rear wheel though as the 7sp cassette and 9sp are the same width on the freehub, unless you have the old freewheel version that spins onto the wheel rather than slots on as the current ones do,
    if you search around you may find a 9sp set up at a good price, 7sp are getting a little more difficult to get hold of, (still a fair amount out there but not in terms of 9sp set ups!)
    but remember you'll need shifter, cassette and chain!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Looking into this further, it gets complicated.

My frame dropout, and hub locknut-locknut distance is 135mm, so I don't need the wheel redishing. However my 7 speed cassette does not have a spacer behind it, so it looks as though I have a 7 speed freehub. T'interweb has some evidence of 8spd shifters working OK with 7spd cassette.

So my option appears to be new 7 spd shifters.

9spd seems like a lot of expense and hassle (9 spd freehub, cassette, chainrings and chain). Going for 8 speed shifters is completely worthless as an upgrade path as it's still a new freehub, cassette and, chain.

Hmm.. I have a Sora 9sp Rear Hub in the shed......
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    8 speed shifters will work to a fashion, with one unused click, but will be some rubbing in the top and bottom gears. You could fit an 8 speed freehub, but woul have to rearrange the axle spacers and redish.

I would stick with 7 speed shifters as you suggested.