Giro to start in Turin with TTT

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... trial.html

Does that mean we'll get early mountains?

Also, does anyone want to form a "bring the Giro to London" organisation with me? I'd make an excellent corrupt figurehead in a true cycling style.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    Also, does anyone want to form a "bring the Giro to London" organisation with me? I'd make an excellent corrupt figurehead in a true cycling style.

Nah. South Wales. Loads of history between the Italians and the Welsh. Could start with a TTT outside Verdi's ice cream parlour in the Mumbles. Joe Calzaghe could fire the starting pistol. Brilliant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    I'm going to join AFX on this one. Loads of good climbs on really narrow, barely surfaced roads through the South Wales valleys - will be like a home from home for them.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,579
    *inserts obligitory TTT moan*
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    TTT - everyone's doing it now!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    Could be fun with some of the Italian teams :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pokerface wrote:
    TTT - everyone's doing it now!

The TTT was a regular feature of the Giro, while it was dropped from the Tour, to be fair.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    *inserts obligitory TTT moan*

Well, OK, it doesn't have to be a TTT starting outside Verdi's, it could be a prologue or a road stage. I'll be sure to make that clear to Angelo Z when I meet with him.

But seriously though, they made a big play about the Italian miners who emigrated to Belgium when the Giro started there in 2006. It could be the same deal with Wales. Only with chippies and ice cream bars instead.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Why don't they start it in Holland for a change, it's hardly been done before. :wink:

But seriously it's good to see a national race actually being in that country without any gimmicks.

Stands back for corrections.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    plowmar wrote:
    But seriously it's good to see a national race actually being in that country without any gimmicks.

I'm sure Zomegan will cook up something special. After all he got the Giro prologue to use floating pontoons in Venice once. So I'm already imagining the start in the San Ciro or the Fiat factory and the finish on the Superga climb outside Turin. If there's a gimmick, Zomegnan will find it :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Isn't there talk next year premier Grand Tour will pop into France for a bit?

Will be curious to see how he routes it this time. Head south and then back north?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Kléber wrote:
    plowmar wrote:

I'm sure Zomegan will cook up something special. After all he got the Giro prologue to use floating pontoons in Venice once. So I'm already imagining the start in the San Ciro or the Fiat factory and the finish on the Superga climb outside Turin. If there's a gimmick, Zomegnan will find it :wink:

He should pay tribute to the film 'The Italian Job' and have the prologue follow the same route the minis did.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    RichN95 wrote:
    He should pay tribute to the film 'The Italian Job' and have the prologue follow the same route the minis did.

.....with 50kg of gold on their backs
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    iainf72 wrote:

Will be curious to see how he routes it this time. Head south and then back north?

Sestriere - Montgenevre - Briancon would fit.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    He's got a hard act to follow if he wants to beat this year's Giro for drama and excitement...it was outstanding, TTT and all!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I don't care what anyone else says - I think a TTT is one of the most beautiful things in cycling to watch. Especially when they do it right. Poetry in motion. :oops:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Kléber wrote:
    I'm sure Zomegan will cook up something special. ... If there's a gimmick, Zomegnan will find it :wink:
    It’s the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy next year and the theme of the Giro will revolve around that. Think where Garibaldi was and went. This why Calabria is expected to be on the route (at the toe of Italy). There are some steep short climbs there.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Rumour has it 2nd stage will be to Cervere, so sort of heading to the coast, Liguria, where Garibaldi came from.
    afx237vi wrote:
    they made a big play about the Italian miners who emigrated to Belgium when the Giro started there in 2006. It could be the same deal with Wales. Only with chippies and ice cream bars instead.
    Don't forget there was a 'Little Italy ' in Liverpool too. Think Dom Volante. Should be this year really, as Liverpool supporters of Garibaldi not only collected money for his cause, but also bought his private yacht. Also, numbers of Liverpudlians went off and joined Garibaldi's army.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Didn't Garibaldi make biscuits?

It's an interesting celebration but one that could imply massive transfers. One of the hidden factors of the 2010 Giro was the long transfers and a few riders were quietly moaning about this, those that have a choice about doing this race might think twice if the race gets too ambitious with visits to Sardinia and Sicily, key terrain to symbolise the reunification.

At least it's not starting in Washington. Maybe that's for 2012 but for the time being the race is saved from the ultimate gimmick.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Rumours, rumours.
    I expect the route of the Turin TTT to remain shrouded in mystery. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes, rumour is the Giro will do L'Alpe d'Huez... Can't imagine that in the first couple of days straight out of Turin. The 2004 Giro started in Genua and went straight South.
    iainf72 wrote:
    I would guess so. Turin is too close to the Alps to go straight into. Something on the Superga would be great though.
  • knedlicky
    I expect the route of the Turin TTT to remain shrouded in mystery. :wink:
    Very clever but apparently no longer shrouded :(
    It's supposedly from Venaria Reale into Turin, as the crow flies about 8 km.

Then the Giro goes on (again supposedly) ...

Sun 8 May, Cervere - Nice (Garibaldi was born in Nice, it belonged to Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont in those days)
    Mon 9 May, Nice - Quarto dei Mille (Garibaldi set sail to Sicily with 1000 soldiers from here, now a suburb of Genoa)
    Tues 10 May, Genoa – Versilia or Viarreggio
    Wed 11 May, Versilia or Florence - Talamone (Garibaldi took on provisions here)
    Thur 12 May, Rest Day (transfer to Sicily)
    Fri 13 May, Palermo - Marsala (Garibaldi landed at Marsala and captured Palermo)
    Sat 14 May, Licata - Etna (Garibaldi stayed in Licata, the town supplying him with many men as troops)
    Sun 15 May, Catania – Messina (Garibaldi captured Messina)
    Mon 16 May, Transfer to mainland (Calabria) and possibly short stage same day.

Also climb up to Macugnana tipped for next to last day (ski resort up by Monte Rosa).
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Garibaldi and Anna escaped left from Cesenatico - but they went there this year so probably wouldn't do it 2 yrs in a row.
    Could start in Glasgow and do a bit of Scotland. Lots of Italians in Scotland inc Chapel on Orkney. Chance of echelons there! :)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • knedlicky
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Garibaldi and Anna escaped left from Cesenatico - but they went there this year so probably wouldn't do it 2 yrs in a row.
    Could start in Glasgow and do a bit of Scotland. Lots of Italians in Scotland inc Chapel on Orkney. Chance of echelons there! :)
    Anna died in his earlier campaign, in 1848, so isn’t relevant to the Zomegan idea (I’ve been to the house in Mandriole where she died, like you say west of Cesenatico).

The Garibaldi-Sicily connection is from 1860, but the Unification of Italy followed as direct consequence in 1861, thus the idea of the Giro 2011, the 150 years anniversary after his more successful campaign.
    The Giro-Garibaldi idea might all stop when they return to the mainland on 16 May, because thereabouts is where he was defeated and temporarily captured.

Glasgow? What about Nottingham?
    The reason Notts Forest play in red shirts is because of an affiliation that the original club-founding members in the 19th century had for Garibaldi (Garibaldi troops, being basically insurgents, so without uniforms, wore red shirts as identification).