Easier hill climb gearing? How? HELP!!!!

2»

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Or would the 9 speed rear mech work on a 10 speed SRAM Apex 11-32 cassette? This could be a solution.

10 speed Shimano shifters, 9 speed Shimano MTB rear mech, 10 speed SRAM cassette

All will work fine together.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If you are having so much problems and all this p1551ng about, why not just wack on a 12-28 or something, get some panniers on, load em with bricks, get to those hills, MTFU and do some training.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but you can do it with 105 shifters, rear mech and 12-28 you can do those hills.. You should be training so you can do it aswell.
  • willharris10
    willharris10 Posts: 166
    That's what I'm going to do. Ordered an 11-28 and decided that unlike last year when I had a total of 3 weeks on my bike before leaving, I now have a year of cycling to work and back plus 2 months concerted effort to train for it. I should be much better off than last year. But I'm still getting older and it's harder than it was. 34 is like geriatric don't you know ;-))
    Summer - Cannondale Six Ultegra
    Winter - Condor Bivio - cyclocross bike for commuting, cycle paths & rainy days - brilliant

LBS - Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick - Simply the best LBS
    Stolen - 2001 Specialized Allez Elite :-(
  • willharris10
    My LBS (my real one! Sigma Sport) said they thought I could use a Deore rear mech with a new SRAM Apex 11-32 cassette. They'll see if they can get me one. This would be marvellous. Am awaiting their word back. If they can, the 11-28 will be winging it's way back. When it arrives. LOL.
    Winter - Condor Bivio - cyclocross bike for commuting, cycle paths & rainy days - brilliant

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My LBS (my real one! Sigma Sport) said they thought I could use a Deore rear mech with a new SRAM Apex 11-32 cassette.

Well that's what I kept saying but it didn't seem to be sinking in when I said it ;)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • willharris10
    It did, it's just that Evans so confuddled my mind that I'd given up hope! Fortunely Sigma Sport are a much more intelligent breed it seems. (Along with you). Anyway, let's see what they can do. Thank you SRAM for releasing the Apex range. What took you so darned long!

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    34 is like geriatric don't you know )

'cept Armstrong got a podium in the TDF last year aged 37 and the oldest rider in this year's Tour was 39!

If it's any consolation, I'm considerably older than you and probably weigh more but you can keep your granny gears, not for me thanks. That big dinner plate sprocket on the rear wheel looks sh*t in any case.

Hills are meant to hurt. Try to remember that.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    It did, it's just that Evans so confuddled my mind that I'd given up hope!

Lesson learned.
  • willharris10
    Sturmey, I shall try and find an extra hill or two this evening, and while I'm pedalling away, pain building in my legs, I'll think of you chap ;-)

• Sorted. At last!!

I had to order it from the States, but a new SRAM Apex 11-32 10-speed cassette is installed on my bike in partnership with a Shimano Deore long cage rear mech. My 105 10-speed shifters work a treat and I now have a touring bike that I can get up steeper hills without killing myself.

Thanks to Sigma Sport for walking me through it and doing the work and no thanks to UK customs who held the damn cassette for several days and then parcel force, who instead of delivering it, wrote to me to pay duty at which point I could 'pick it up'. Why pay for delivery?!! I hate the stupid laws on duty. I paid VAT etc etc in the States, now I've paid it twice plus a handling fee.

So, Cassette, bought from bicyclebuys.com in the States, $60 reduced from $80. $30 shipping and £19 duty etc at the depot in the UK. I'm still really happy, but my goodness! All to have probably the first SRAM Apex 11-32 cassette into the UK.

LEJOG here I come. (Next weekend as it happens!!!)

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/TomandWillsLEJOG

• delstron
    delstron Posts: 74
    Enjoy..........but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES check this link -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SRAM-Apex-PG-1050 ... c3ff1dc621
  • Uhhh. Slumps shoulders.

Oh well. If I'd know that a fortnight ago. LOL.

Thing is, I couldn't move my LEJOG dates and I HAD to try and find one. The UK distributor isn't distributing them yet, but there we are, some lucky cyclist will get a brilliant upgrade! :-)