Which Derailleur

stueyuk
stueyuk Posts: 11
edited July 2010 in The workshop
Afternoon all,

Due to budget restrictions (aka a wife!) i'm looking at a hybrid for around £349 to £400.

I've seen 3 or 4 nice looking bikes from Specialized, Ridgeback, Pinnacle, Carrera etc but i'm trying to determine which has the better kit on it....

Most either have Shimano Alcera, Alivio or Altus for rear derailleurs. I appreciate that these are the lower end of the scale in any event but i wondered which was better?? The most expensive appears to be the Acera but does that mean better quality??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stu 8)

Comments

• Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    I Was always of the opinion that Alivio was the higher speced part out of those three. :?

Im pretty sure it goes as Alivio is the highest spec of the three you show there and Altus and Acera are very much the same. In terms of differance of quality i doubt there is much differance at all between those three. I have an Alivio rear mech on my XC bike at the moment and to be honest i dont like it. It's not tensioning my chain properly and so the chain slaps my frame and it crunches into my cassette in lower gears. Not a lot i can do about it either in terms of adjustment.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Yes, but it's much of a muchness.

Try as many as you can and then buy which one you enjoy riding the most. Trying to get a bargain isn't so wise when you hate riding it because it doesn't fit properly!
  • stueyuk
    Thanks for the quick response Uchiga!
  • stueyuk
    Yes, but it's much of a muchness.

Try as many as you can and then buy which one you enjoy riding the most. Trying to get a bargain isn't so wise when you hate riding it because it doesn't fit properly!

Thanks very much. I see what you are saying