cycle gloves/mits for a 2 year old

mellisr1
mellisr1 Posts: 67
edited August 2012 in Family & kids cycling forum
I'm struggling here a bit but do toddler (or very small child) cycle gloves exist.

My daughter (2 now) has absolutely loves her trike and I have got her a ridgeback scoot (though suggestions were that at the younger end of the spectrum, they start off just walking them around for a fair while before actually scooting).

however, I suspect there will be the odd spill along the way. She has a helmet from going in a bike seat but not gloves with leather/padded palms. But when I look for them they all seem to be for 4-5year olds above.

Does anyone here know of a manufacturer who does very small gloves or do other people do something else? i.e. normal leather gloves (which you probably can get for little uns).

cheers and any pointers greatly appreciated.
Matt
Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    and why would you need gloves for a two year old? Does she ride a road bike and needs the vibrations to be dampened? Or does she go downhill and needs improved grip of the handles? Are you going to install cleats on her shoes too? Sorry but this is just ridiculous. Children do not need special gear to cycle. If her hands are cold just put normal gloves on her hands.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    My girl had very, VERY few spills on her runbike, although she is a little on the cautious side. But, I noticed, she tends to step off it now on the very rare occasion it does go down (like... twice in the past 6 months) so perhaps she's learned.

BBB make a kid's sized fingerless glove - but it's probably more for a 3, than a 2 yr old. My daughter has ones from Kathmandu - but I don't think you have them in the UK. She only wears them for long rides attached via the TrailGator to my bike.

I tend to agree... the less gear, and the more 'normal' riding is for them, the better.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    I got my 4-year old son some cycle gloves from halfords last night - the smallest they do seem to be for 4 years+...

So your best bet may be to go for ordinary gloves, however, as we've already discovered, proper gloves with padded palms are good for nippers when they do take a spill as it better prevents grazes on their palms than regular gloves would (remember how much grazed skin hurts?! :cry: )

...Also, my boy likes having proper cycling gloves, so he can be like his dad! :D
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I'm looking for a heart rate monitor for a 3yr old - any ideas? :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • mellisr1
    Thanks to all the sensible replies. Hrm - lol perhaps I can get her a garmin with cadence sensor :P

Oh and I do know when my daughter's hands are cold but it's summer now and this was in case she fell over :wink:
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    ndru wrote:
    and why would you need gloves for a two year old? Does she ride a road bike and needs the vibrations to be dampened? Or does she go downhill and needs improved grip of the handles? Are you going to install cleats on her shoes too? Sorry but this is just ridiculous. Children do not need special gear to cycle. If her hands are cold just put normal gloves on her hands.

Perfectly simple. Kid falls off. Kid puts her hand(s) instinctively. Kid grazes palm of her hand. Kid cries. Kid needs graze(s) cleaning. Kid cries more.

Alternatively, provide kid with some means of protecting palms of hand.

Simples.

Ps. Assume that parent(s) know their kid's needs better than you do.

also simples
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    ndru wrote:

Perfectly simple. Kid falls off. Kid puts her hand(s) instinctively. Kid grazes palm of her hand. Kid cries. Kid needs graze(s) cleaning. Kid cries more.

Simples.

Ps. Assume that parent(s) know their kid's needs better than you do.

also simples
    +1
    Grazed palms always seem to cause more grief than the run of the mill skinned knees and bruised shins. Also they have quite delicate skin on their hands compared to us adults.
    Lets not tell parents how to raise their kids hey? :roll:
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I didn't mean to lecture anyone.
    I am just amazed that parents seem to be so overprotective. I remember grazings, cuts and bruises was part of the childhood, and integral part - you learned to avoid thing that caused them and they made you tougher. But if parents feel it's better to wrap their kids in pillow - hey who am I to lecture them. I'll let my sons run free and learn from their mistakes though.
    Cheers
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    Hi,

i picked up some gloves for my son several years ago. I think they've got pictures of cartoon animals on them. (This was from the Surrey Quays shop). They don't always have the smallest sizes on the shelves. You may want to call. Now that he's 4, they got the identical ("Triban") red design for little hands as well as big ones!

In reply to ndru - he doesn't always wear them, and sometimes only for part of the ride. I don't push him too hard to wear them, but now he's got all the kit (i've found altura do lycra shorts & cycling shirts for 5yr olds :D ) , he likes to have the whole shooting match.

*bad parent warning* he doesn't always his helmet either - i didn't when I was his age.....

cheers
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794

Indeed, that's why my son now wears gloves whenever he rides his bike or his scooter.

I got some Avenir kids track mitts from muddypuddles.com

The small size fitted him perfectly when he was 3. The medium size (4-6 yo) fits him well now he is 4.

£6 + delivery.

http://www.muddypuddles.com/Adventure/B ... rack-Mitts
  • mellisr1
    Thanks everyone. I'm certainly not wrapping her in cotton wool. Just gloves as that's the thing they land on. Oh and a helmet. If I was she'd be elbow and knee padded up or just left in front of cebbies all day.

Some suggestions to look into though I'll post if any seem small enough just in case anyone else is looking. Thanks matt
    o
  • PeeDee
    PeeDee Posts: 88
    We had some tiny cycling mits, though I can't remeber where they came from. I think they may have been off a stall at York cycle fair. Both our girls loved to wear them though more of a fashion accessory than a cycling necessity. Still, anything that gets them interested is good IMHO..
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    On a likeabike they're less likely to fall in the first place. My daughter has hurt herself several times since graduating to a 16in wheel 'proper' bike but rock steady on the Rothan.

Polaris Controller mitts are good but even the smallest size might still be too big.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • blazers
    blazers Posts: 1
    ndru wrote:
    You know why I know that they experience also that, so they just protecting their children because they already know what is the outcomes. may be they protects the hands because it is very important right or to become stylist hehehe :lol: who knows in the future if the child ask thier mom why they are using gloves?.
  • my 2 are 5 and 8 they don't wear gloves but do wear a helmet no helmet no riding and they stick to the rule. I can see where your coming from :)
  • +1 Mike Healey

Which would I rather do? Give my daughter a pair of mitts to wear knowing as I do all about the instinct to use hands to break a fall, or waste an afternoon's ride comforting her when she scrapes her hands 50m from the door or walking a mile home after a minor tumble?
    She's never hit her head in three years, but by god those mitts have been priceless; and she knows it too so never goes out without.
    Ours came from Halfords though they were a bit big until she turned four.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • mellisr1 wrote:
    Thanks to all the sensible replies. Hrm - lol perhaps I can get her a garmin with cadence sensor :P

:lol::lol: Good answer. And why not, she'll probably be able to upload the data in another 6 months.
  • DazCr
    DazCr Posts: 32
    +2 Mike Healy.

mellisr1 just asked a simple question and asked it on a family forum which you would assume would be a little more friendly.

Having re-read the initial post I don't see that mellisr1 asked for a lecture?

He wants some gloves, recommend some gloves or just shut up and keep your opinions about the ins and outs of it to yourself.

So many bloody forums these days are filled with people lecturing instead of trying to help.

Idiots.
    Boardman HT Pro with a few mods
    Boardman Team Full Susser
    Boardman Hybrid
    A retro hardtail seemingly made of lead
  • DazCr
    DazCr Posts: 32
    ...ps, rant over - Cycles UK stock tiny padded fingerless gloves certainly in their Madistone store - they also have a mail order website where you may be able to get them.....
    Boardman HT Pro with a few mods
    Boardman Team Full Susser
    Boardman Hybrid
    A retro hardtail seemingly made of lead
  • ndru wrote:
    I didn't mean to lecture anyone.
    I am just amazed that parents seem to be so overprotective. I remember grazings, cuts and bruises was part of the childhood, and integral part - you learned to avoid thing that caused them and they made you tougher. But if parents feel it's better to wrap their kids in pillow - hey who am I to lecture them. I'll let my sons run free and learn from their mistakes though.
    Cheers

I'm sure you let them play with fire/kitchen ovens then, they will learn from their mistakes?

Learning from mistakes does not apply.

Hand scrapes suck, no one learns from falling off from injuries, they learn from falling.

Hitting a hand with gloves on is going to hurt a child enough (plus anything else that gets hit). Putting them through a graze that takes ages to heal because its in an actively used place, that is likely to get rubbed, picked and knocked, not to mention possibly infected...

Yes, I came here just to say ndru is a bit of a twonk.