Steel bikes are ALWAYS better

Duffer
Duffer Posts: 379
edited July 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Better than plastic ones, and especially better than stupid Alloy ones.
That is all.

cartoon_fishing.jpg

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,712
    Duffer wrote:
    Better than plastic ones, and especially better than stupid Alloy ones.
    That is all.

cartoon_fishing.jpg
    Steel is an alloy :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I'm gonna get rid of my steel frame soon I reckon...
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    I can't say, haven't tried carbon or alu for any length. Do like steel though :)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Andy wrote:

^ This.

Mine is going in a couple of weeks to make way for an Alu frame.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Andy wrote:

^ This.

mmmbop might be light but it's also stiff and unforgiving as fook and a definite try a few times before buy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    jpstar wrote:
    I can't say, haven't tried carbon or alu for any length. Do like steel though :)

In a blind test I bet many couldn't tell which is which :wink:
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Andy wrote:

^ This.

I'm eyeing up an alu full sus frame to replace mine :wink:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    supersonic wrote:
    jpstar wrote:

In a blind test I bet many couldn't tell which is which :wink:

I dunno, I reckon the sound of a carbon frame hitting the tree you just rode into will be different :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i dont care what the bike is made from as long as it is a hardtail.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i dont care what the bike is made from as long as it is a hardtail.
    hahah. i have to say sheepsteeth, i'm starting to like you :wink:
    your a legend :)
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Glad somebody noticed :wink:

It's something you see quite often on these forums - people comparing steel to "alloy"
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    obviously, the basic assumption is that when people refer to "Alloy" they are talking about Aluminium.

I'm an engineer who works with all sorts of materials and the same rule applies for some reason.
  • supersonic
    Steel has had its day. With carbon composite frames getting lighter, stronger and cheaper, and even aluminium alloys improving and getting tougher, steel in a few years will be virtually none existant as a frame material except on ultra budget stuff and for hippies.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    Steel has had its day. With carbon composite frames getting lighter, stronger and cheaper, and even aluminium alloys improving and getting tougher, steel in a few years will be virtually none existant as a frame material except on ultra budget stuff and for hippies.

it will always be around for hippies, especially the ones who missed it first time it was fashionable
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Andy wrote:

^ This.

mmmbop might be light but it's also stiff and unforgiving as fook and a definite try a few times before buy.

Cheers, I use really high volume tyres (fat albert) which will help to soften it up a bit. I figure that at a touch over £200 it's worth a punt. Going on what I DON'T like about the 456, the numbers on the Mmmbop say it should be exactly what I'm looking for. If not, I don't stand to make a massive loss if I have to sell it on :P
  • n.battison
    n.battison Posts: 57
    Personally i like steel frames because they someone like be afford a new strong frame thats nice to ride.

Plus i can pretend i notice the difference.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon. Iron rusts. Therefore steel is just a really shite alloy. :x
  • Stevo_666
    supersonic wrote:
    SS, you need to post that in the commuting forum; there are still a few over there that think steel is the dog's danglies for some completely unknown reason. They need educating :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    it will always be around for hippies, especially the ones who missed it first time it was fashionable
    Fashionable? There wasn't anything else when I started! 301.gif
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • supersonic
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    SS, you need to post that in the commuting forum; there are still a few over there that think steel is the dog's danglies for some completely unknown reason. They need educating :wink:

The commies, erm, Commuters, have become immune to my ramblings... Fixie riding scumbags.

:wink:
  • Stevo_666
    supersonic wrote:
    The commies, erm, Commuters, have become immune to my ramblings... Fixie riding scumbags.

:wink:
    Careful, there may be some left wing reactionaries on here too :wink:

The single speed fans didn't take kindly to my point that you don't need a SS, you just get on the bike you've got and don't bother changing gear :P