Anybody had experience of Superstar Hubs?

bertberr
bertberr Posts: 151
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
I've decided to upgrade forks & wheels, and in my quest for something lighter than the standard deore hubs (or XT for that matter), but cheaper than Hope Pro2's, I stumbled across Superstars Switch hubs (the steel axle & freehub versions).

Now, I've got one of their BB's at the moment, and it seems fine so far, but I'm just a little concerned by some of the comments I've read about reliability issues with their hubs, rears in particular... Most of these refered to the lighter and dearer Superlegerra version, but I guess some of the technology / build quality would apply equally to their cheaper hubs such as the Switch.

Also, a little surprised by some of the responses peeps have had when raising their problems with Superstar - is their customer service really not up to sctach?

So, I'd be keen to hear from peeps who have had these hubs (Switch or Slick), and whether you think I should just increase my budget by £££'s and go with the Hopes?

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I have always found their customer support to be perfect.

I had two i900 posts from the batch with the dodgy bearing.
    They repaired both and posted back for free.

Sounds like normal customer service until you point out only one was bought from superstar, the otherone was a second hand ebay post!

Am curious on hub reliability, those new 150x12 hubs look almost too good to be true!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • bertberr
    bertberr Posts: 151
    That sounds good, but if you look at the Superlegerra hub review on here, and the comments below, the same cannot be said... :(
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Well superstar customer service is as far as im aware perfect. Had a problem with my singlespeed tensioner sent it back and they fixed it sent me a spare spring and told me to phone back if i ever had more problems. So far all the stuff ive ordered from them has worked well. Hubs im not sure about. But you dont get light weight without a compromise on strength and longtivity. I'd personally stick with the XT hubs on some XC717 rims cant go wrong with them. Solidly built wheels that last well.