Please Help, First Bike Need Advice

mjg2000
mjg2000 Posts: 5
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
So I have done a lot of research on road bikes and was going to get a 2010 Trek 2.3 because I wanted all 105 components but ended up not having enough money.

I saw the 2011 Trek bikes today and I really like the 1.2 design. So, I was going to buy a 1.2 now and then save up and get better components.

I have 2 main questions.

1. Should I get Shimano 105 components or SRAM Rival? and why

2. Is it okay to get a 1.2 frame and upgrade it or should i spend the extra money up front to get a better frame/components and not have to upgrade?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    It'll cost more overall to upgrade later.

Get the best you can now and upgrade when things wear out
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp wrote:
    It'll cost more overall to upgrade later.

Get the best you can now and upgrade when things wear out

+1 for the above, get the best now, should last you longer than cheaper stuff and save you money in the long run.

As regards SRAM over Shimano. It's more down to personal choice really. I have SRAM on my Boardman and love it. It's easy to use and always works well. Rival it felt to be on a par with Ultegra components, so in theory it's better than 105. Have you tried one or the other to get an idea of how both work? If not, do so to get a feel of them and then make a decision.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    mjg2000 wrote:
    So I have done a lot of research on road bikes and was going to get a 2010 Trek 2.3 because I wanted all 105 components but ended up not having enough money.

I saw the 2011 Trek bikes today and I really like the 1.2 design. So, I was going to buy a 1.2 now and then save up and get better components.

I have 2 main questions.

1. Should I get Shimano 105 components or SRAM Rival? and why

2. Is it okay to get a 1.2 frame and upgrade it or should i spend the extra money up front to get a better frame/components and not have to upgrade?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

You have more bargaining power when buying a complete bike. - buying then upgrading is a very epensive way of doing things. I got upgraded to ultegra from 105 for a mere £90 - just haggle a bit ...... I would get yourself a 0% credit card - some of these are offering 16 months interest free on purchases - just pay it off over 16 months - that will work far cheaper than upgrading.
  • mjg2000
    mjg2000 Posts: 5
    Thanks everyone i might do that, I'll have to weigh out my options.

Question though in regards to the above post, you say its more expensive to upgrade later which I have heard but I found a 105 groupset online for $600. That added onto the 1.2 cost would be about $1500 which is the same price as an already 105 equipped Trek 2.3

Is a 105 groupset really that price or does it cost more because if its that price I wouldn't mind upgrading over time. Because I really do like the frame/design of the new 1.2