Creaking Crank on Allez

flying_fish
flying_fish Posts: 24
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I picked up my new Allez 2 weeks ago, and have covered about 100 miles on it so far. When out on Sunday I noticed that the left crank creaks whenever I start putting power into it.

I have to go back to LBS in a few weeks for a service so will bring it up then, but wanted to know if something like this was common, or what could be wrong with it before going back. I want to make sure that if it is a real issue that I don’t get fobbed off with a default answer!

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Could be it needs tightening up - in which case the sooner the better. But could also be something else eg seat mounts - worth checking these are secure.
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    ian_s wrote:
    Could be it needs tightening up - in which case the sooner the better. But could also be something else eg seat mounts - worth checking these are secure.

+1
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I got a new Ribble 7005 with Tiagra group and I have the same issue. The drive train creaks when I put any kind of power on. It's been like it from the start and it seems to be getting worse, although it doesn't seem to have any actual bearing on the performance of the bike, nothing seems to be loose.

My dad's pretty good with bikes, although not so good with modern external bottom brackets etc but he couldn't work out what it was. I've heard other people mention creaking drive trains on here.... What could it be?

Ribble have said that they will take the bike back for a check over but it's just a pain - it will probably be with them for a couple of weeks or something, so I'll have to use one of my other bikes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've read a few reports of creaking cranks on HTII external bearing systems. General advice seems to be to remove the non drive side crank, clean and grease the interface with the spindle, and replace it. Make sure to preload the bearings by tightening the plasic end cap using the proper tool, then progressively tighten the pinch bolts to the recommended torque.

I have a 105 HTII crankset and it's never creaked. Still took it to bits to see how it worked though
  • Headhuunter
    keef66 wrote:
    I've read a few reports of creaking cranks on HTII external bearing systems. General advice seems to be to remove the non drive side crank, clean and grease the interface with the spindle, and replace it. Make sure to preload the bearings by tightening the plasic end cap using the proper tool, then progressively tighten the pinch bolts to the recommended torque.

I have a 105 HTII crankset and it's never creaked. Still took it to bits to see how it worked though

I must admit, the creak does appear to come from the non drive side. May be this is it....
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    With creaks what i like to do it try and find roughly where the creak is comeing from. then take apart the simplest point for a creak to be comeing from and grease as needed and put back together, go for a ride and if it still creaks then you go the next easyest part to strip and rebuild. keep working like that till the creak stops.

Last one i has was when i put power on the left crank. TUned out to be the pedal needed its thread greasing to stop it.

Any one else just love the sound of rideing on a bike where every thing isworking just right. :D
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • If the shop is worth its salt and you give them a call they will more than likely want you to bring the bike in asap. I noticed the slightest wobble from the rear wheel of my Allez less than a week after purchase and phoned the shop I purchased from and they said bring it in and they sorted it on the spot, despite being a busy saturday afternoon.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I had one and it turned out to be a slightly loose pedal, removed during the first service greased and tightened up, and bingo no more power induced creaking
  • I am usually happy to take things apart myself, but as I have only had it for 2 weeks I dont really want to risk damaging it. Also I am assuming that the LBS should sort it out under warranty so I will call in on saturady and see what they say.

Thanks for your help.
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    definately check the pedal first before anything else. i know a few people who have had bottom brackets replaced and then discovered it was the pedal
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Hollowtech 2 chainset problem. As said repeatedly (by me amongst others) remove LH crankarm, regrease splines, refit, snug down bearing cap, tighten pinchbolts-problem solved.

Only a mug would take it back to the shop- can do a better job yourself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I've got the opposite problem ie a cranking creak on an allez.

I took my bb off and greased and oiled. My allez was 2nd hand tho.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sturmey wrote:
    Hollowtech 2 chainset problem. As said repeatedly (by me amongst others) remove LH crankarm, regrease splines, refit, snug down bearing cap, tighten pinchbolts-problem solved.

Only a mug would take it back to the shop- can do a better job yourself.

Only a mug would risk voiding their warranty when they can get something fixed for free.
  • sturmey
    Only a mug would risk voiding their warranty when they can get something fixed for free

Only a mug would rely on bike shops to fix his/her bike.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I was convinced that I had a BB creaking problem.

Following a bit of advice read here I simply torqued up the seatpost and seat clamp.

Voila! Gone.

Simple and will only take a couple of minutes. Give it a try to eliminate it.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Headhuunter
    My creak is definitely coming from the drive train/bottom bracket somewhere.... Definitely not the seat post etc
  • sturmey
    My creak is definitely coming from the drive train/bottom bracket somewhere.... Definitely not the seat post etc

This is so simple to fix ,I can assure you.

The thought of returning it to a bike shop, especially mailing the bike back to Ribble, is laughable.

If you want any further advice just ask.
  • Headhuunter
    sturmey wrote:

This is so simple to fix ,I can assure you.

The thought of returning it to a bike shop, especially mailing the bike back to Ribble, is laughable.

If you want any further advice just ask.

Cheers. I'm pretty useless at bike maintanence... I know how to clean it, fix a puncture, adjust the brakes etc but not much more than that. Not an engineering type and have no interest in how things work. Far more interested in fitness, nutrition and how the human body works, the bike is just a means to and end for me. I have emailed some quotes from this thread to my dad to see if he can sort it out for me (he's my bike engineer). One question, on the LH crank arm there's a little sticker that says the cranks has to be tightened with a torque wrench to a certain number, is this absolutely necessary? I don't think I know anyone with a torque wrench!
  • keef66
    Not strictly neccessary; The plastic tool used to tighten the end cap (which preloads the bearings) is designed to be finger tight. I just tightened my clamp bolts using a standard allen key and a bit of common sense. No creaking so far.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    My left crank arm was creaking quite badly last night, so I tightened the bolts, one of which was not hand tight, regreased the pedal threads and all's well again.
  • sturmey
    Just follow the example of these guys .
    You may get away without taking the crankarm off if you're worried about going that far. Just loosen the pinchbolts then tighten them progressively good and tight- you don't need to see the whites of your knuckles or anything daft like that. But you don't need a torque wrench- guarantee a lot of shop mechanics won't use one apart from maybe on carbon components.
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks all. How do I get hold of the tool to tighten the end cap mentioned by keef66? Can someone post a picture or link to CRC or a place that sells it? Just in case I need to remove the crank arm.
  • sturmey
    It's one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3785

£2.99 and next day postage.
  • keef66
    That's where I got mine!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I took my crank apart, checked pedals, and in the end I put some special carbon grease on my seatpost and all was sorted!
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks all.... I'll take the bike to my dad and we'll work it out. I'll probably be riding home through some busy junction and the left crank arm will fall off.... Fingers crossed...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You really need to learn how to fix stuff - bikes aren't technical.

Just a few allen keys generally cover most things.

Check pedals, chain rings, cranks are tight, BB shells are on tight, saddle, seat post.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    pedal/cleat/shoe junction can often be the source of creaks, which sound like they are coming from the cranks

don't know what pedals you have, but try pedalling unclipped for a minute and it see if it goes away
  • Had exactly the same issue on my 09 Allez. Just as some of the other posters mentioned, took off the left arm, regreased and tightened - all ok now.
  • Headhuunter
    fossyant wrote:
    You really need to learn how to fix stuff - bikes aren't technical.

Just a few allen keys generally cover most things.

Check pedals, chain rings, cranks are tight, BB shells are on tight, saddle, seat post.

I know it's just so much easier to take it home to my dad. He knows a lot about older style bikes though, not that great with more modern stuff like this. I've got 4 bikes at the mo, 2 of them were built by my dad. Some people take their washing home to their mums, I take my bikes home to my dad... Next time I'll have to actually watch what he does when he fixes it!