VO2 Max and Power GOOD or BAD???????

what brakes
what brakes Posts: 328
Is this good or bad...

Max minute power: 363W (the power averaged out over the last minute of your max test)

VO2max: 56.21 L/kg/min

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The VO2max number is Not bad, not great, probably about avererage for a club cyclist.

Your Max minute power, well that doesn't say much unfortunately, as it depends on your weight and even the protocol used. Indeed it's possible if the protocol wasn't an appropriate one for you that your VO2max number is higher than the number you have there as you may not have actually elicited VO2max.

Any fixed cadence protocol and I under report VO2max.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • what brakes
    weight 82kg
    cadence 100rpm

The measurements were taken in a lab in controled conditions etc.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    weight 82kg
    cadence 100rpm

I'm not being rude - but if this was done in a lab - couldn't they tell you if it's good or not?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    weight 82kg
    cadence 100rpm

So it'll put your W/kg at FTP (what is generally considered a good comparison figure, the watts you can maintain for an hour) likely somewhere around 3.4 w/kg not great, but not bad. You should, particular at 82kg have no trouble staying with a 4th cat mens race. However you'll likely struggle a little more in a hilly race.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • what brakes
    looks like i need to work abit harder! lol

I do 100 mile sportives at pretty good times etc but yeah hills arnt my strong point!
  • Is this good or bad...

Max minute power: 363W (the power averaged out over the last minute of your max test)

VO2max: 56.21 L/kg/min
    There is no good or bad. It's information, which if the testers have done their job properly, will provide you with advice on what training you should be focused on to achieve your goals.

VO2max per se is a pretty ordinary indicator of performance ability, since there are other physiological factors that strongly influence performance (let alone non-physiological factors).

Your max minute power is highly dependent on the test protocol used, so any comparison to others (if that's what matters to you) must be on the basis of comparing results using same protocol.
  • Did you have your body fat taken by any chance? Knowing much weight you could potentially lose (as your VO2 is related to your weight) could be another good indicator.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • what brakes
    I took part in a small test for a student studying for their phd. So unfortunately it was done to aid in my training etc! It was about efficiency of cyclists etc.

Hence why i was asking if its god, bad or indifferent! I guess the trouble with anything like that is there are too many variable and influences.

Cheers for the info though guys
  • I took part in a small test for a student studying for their phd. So unfortunately it was done to aid in my training etc! It was about efficiency of cyclists etc.

Hence why i was asking if its god, bad or indifferent! I guess the trouble with anything like that is there are too many variable and influences.

Cheers for the info though guys
    So by way of curiosity, what was your efficiency?
  • what brakes
    dont laugh!

Max efficiency is 210W at 18.49%
  • dont laugh!

Max efficiency is 210W at 18.49%
    OK - on the low end of typical for trained cyclists, nothing to laugh about there.

Got some training to do then. :wink: