Are my gears buggered?

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi, I was replacing a gear cable and it got badly stuck in the lever mechanism, I managed to get it out but I think bits were left behind and now it only clicks twice. Any advice on how to get bits of broken cable out? It`s a Tiagra shifer.
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    antfly wrote:
    Hi, I was replacing a gear cable and it got badly stuck in the lever mechanism, I managed to get it out but I think bits were left behind and now it only clicks twice. Any advice on how to get bits of broken cable out? It`s a Tiagra shifer.

That happened to mine, I had to get em replaced, buggered they are, you'd not like taking those shifters apart.
  • antfly
    Damn, that`s really what I didn`t want to hear. I never realised those things were so expensive, it`s like the most expensive bit of the bike.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    You can see an exploded diagram here:

Choose model number

I doubt if it's beyond repair - but maybe beyond the occasional mechanic!

If you lived up this way (NE Scotland) I'd help you fix it.
  • antfly
    Thanks for the offer.
    I`ve just printed that off as it happens and i`m going to give it a go anyway but i`m not holding out much hope
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    There's always Paul Hewitt's in Leyland if you need a Shimano service centre.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    It's a long shot, but I had a similar problem on my MTB shifter a few years ago. What I did was put in another cable and held it taught it while shifting all the way, then down. This worked. I think it needed some pressure to release the ratchet mechanism.

But if you think some bits were broken off and jammed, that's another matter :(
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4