xt slx gears

acac
acac Posts: 348
edited July 2010 in MTB general
hi i have xt m770 rear mech xt rh shifter 1 x 9 set up i
i had old lx gears
the xt gear dont seem to be as smooth as my old lx the xt is ok shifting down but shifting up is abit clunky not very smooth and yes they are set up ok.
is the slx gears better then the xt.
? :P
play hard ride hard

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    i think SLX and XT stuff is pretty similar internally. xt should be a bit lighter etc as its further up the range but i dont think theres a whole load of difference.

xt should feel better than your old LX. if it doesn't, i'd say something is wrong with it
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Make sure he cables are smooth and clean.
  • acac
    the whole bike is super clean cleaned after every ride .
    play hard ride hard
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    even so, you can be sure that the cable inners are clean. dirt loves getting into the cables and gunking them up
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    acac wrote:
    hi i have xt m770 rmech xt rh shifter 1 x 9 set up i
    i had old lx gears
    the xt gear dont seem to be as smooth as my old lx the xt is ok shifting down but shifting up is abit clunky not very smooth and yes they are set up ok.
    is the slx gears better then the xt.
    ? :P
    No, they are not.
  • acac
    the gears are very quiet when in gear is just when changeing up the gears its gos clonk
    changes ok with my old lx i hardly notics that i change gear
    play hard ride hard
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    XT does feel alittle clunky and mechanical, are you sure it's not this?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    poor set up/mucky cables.

as you dont say normal or rapid rise i will say no more.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • acac
    yer thats what i meen they feel alittle clunky and mechanical my lx didnt and they are normal rapid fire

and if they are poorly setup how come they are so quirt in gear just more clunky.
    play hard ride hard
  • acac
    thanks for all your help nick :roll:
    play hard ride hard
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    XT should be smooth in both respects. In as much as they are more expensive than SLX i would be inclined to say XT are better as a result. And to be honest i dont think they are set up correctly. The limits might be set up correctly and shifting may be okay but there are other ways of adjusting the mechs. Check the cables as well. Actually replace them for XTR cables only cost 17.99 for the inners and the outers and they will not dissapoint. Then check again for sure that your mech is set up correctly. Cos although they feel clunky and make a nice reassuring click from what youve described it sounds like its lagging when it changes gear...
  • acac
    thanks uchiga i will have alook at them tonite when get home re do them and see what happens i let u know how it gos cheers
    play hard ride hard
  • Anonymous
    So, the advice you've finally taken is to try to set your mech up properly?
    Funny that.
  • acac
    i checked gears re done them still same funny that changes gear ok and quirt in gear like i said it just gos clunk when i chage gear where my lx didnt cable are all good
    yes it is set up ok i have set up gears loads of times for years
    play hard ride hard
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    Wow... does anyone else find it ridiculously hard to understand what acac says?!
    and get the cabling re-done by someone who knows what they're doing. I have an XT front mech, and its smooth as butter. :roll:
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • acac
    edited July 2010
    if you can read am on about my rear mech
    play hard ride hard
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    if you can read i on about my rear mech
    If you can use grammar, I'm on about the cables. It's not the shifter's fault :roll:
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • acac
    your on about front mech am on about rear mech whats your front mech got to do with my rear mech
    play hard ride hard
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    He was on about the cabling. The cabling for his front mech is smooth as butter check to make sure the cabling for your rear mech is as smooth as butter. It might just be time to change your inner and outer cable to be honest i've never heard from anyone with an XT rear mech that its changed gear worse than any other gear system they've previously owned.
  • acac
    my cables are as good as new and they xt cables am not saying any one is right or wrong but it dos seem to clonk more in the middle gears the cassette is not very old not worn i they are good gears just abit of a clonk
    play hard ride hard
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Use punctuation, please. Your sentences are really hard to read!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Look, what kind of answer do you want? You refuse to believe they're set up incorrectly.
    What else can we tell you exactly?