Removing Headset Cups

James T
James T Posts: 104
edited July 2010 in Workshop
What's the best way to remove headset cups from a frame without damaging them? Do i need a specific tool?

Kind regards JT

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've only ever used a hammer and screwdriver. Tap round the cup gently and evenly and you will be fine.
  • Kingtut87
    Kingtut87 Posts: 105
    You can get headset removal tools, just search on google. Cheap as chips on ebay. I actually just changed my headset tonight but luckily there was no tapping needed, they just lifted right out.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Kingtut87 wrote:
    I actually just changed my headset tonight but luckily there was no tapping needed, they just lifted right out.
    You are probably referring to the bearing cartridges on modern headsets. I assume the OP was talking about the fixed cups on threaded sets which are a force fit in the tube.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    This is (one version of) the specific tool:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12337

The Park one is expensive, but there are other brands much cheaper.

The screwdriver method works provided you are *very* careful not to make burrs on the cups, have screwdrivers you can wreck for this purpose, and the cups are not stuck in too tight. Otherwise, you will likely ruin the cups, the driver blade and maybe put a nasty gouge in the inner face of your head tube.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    If you can get hold of a piece of steel tube, around 25mm/1inch diameter at around 200mm long and cut twice from the end with a hacksaw along the centreline around 60mm deep at 90 degs to each other, then just splay out the segments and push into the headtube and use a hammer to remove one cup then the other.